From Lance to Landis- A book to look out for.

Howardcp
Howardcp Posts: 1,084
edited June 2007 in Pro race
A book well worth looking out for. (Unless, of course, the lawyers of Armstrong and co. are able to bury it, along with most of the other insights into Armstrong's past which have surfaced in the past few years!).

http://www.authorlink.com/login/getacce ... /item/1335

<b>May 24- May 31, 2007 Edition

Ballantine to Publish Book On Tour De France</b>

NEW YORK/5/17/07--Ballantine Books will publish FROM LANCE TO LANDIS: Inside the American Doping Controversy at the Tour de France by award-winning journalist David Walsh on June 26, 2007, it was announced today by Libby McGuire, Senior Vice President and Publisher of Ballantine Books. The book, a meticulous and exhaustive account of the doping scandal that has damaged the credibility of the Tour de France and professional cycling, goes on sale less than two weeks before the start of the 2007 Tour de France. ESPN The Magazine will run a first serial excerpt in their July 2nd issue, on newsstands on June 21, 2007.

Walsh is the chief sports writer with The Sunday Times of London, four-time Irish Sportswriter of the Year, three-time UK Sportswriter of the Year, and author of L.A. Confidential. For FROM LANCE TO LANDIS, he spent eight years investigating the doping allegations and has on-the-record testimony of numerous named sources, including friends, team management, riders, government officials, and adversaries within the cycling community. The result is an account from deep inside the sport: covering the charges, the admissions and the denials, which riders have been accused and the elaborate and scientific methods available to riders who want to beat the system.

The Tour de France, as revealed by Walsh, is riddled with admitted dopers and those who contest positive doping results and deny use. Can it regain its former glory and prestige? Is it possible to clean up a sport whose culture is so firmly entrenched in doping? And what cost will doping have on clean athletes, the fans, the history and future of sportsmanship? FROM LANCE TO LANDIS focuses on what is arguably the most gruelling test of athleticism of our timethe Tour, but it addresses important concerns and raises questions facing all professional sports today.

"With this book, David Walsh has created a revealing account of one of the world's foremost sporting events," McGuire said. "I believe this will hold as the definitive look at a disturbing and on-going era in a troubled sport." David Walsh's editor, Mark Tavani, continues, "Many of the twists in the story of American cycling have made for big news. But thanks to the time he's spent covering the issue, David is the first writer who's been able to bring it all together, to tell it as one story, to really explain its repercussions. It's a story that fully addresses the state of cycling, but also speaks to a broader audience about issues of sport, celebrity, and fairness."

"I have spent 15 years following the sport as a writer and a fan," said Walsh. "In 1998 our eyes were opened to the reality of a deeply-rooted and sophisticated culture of doping in professional cycling. A year later Lance Armstrong won the Tour de France and we were told a new and better era had begun. Since then, I have spent seven years asking questions and pursuing the truth, and this book is the fruit of that pursuit."

Ballantine Books is an imprint of the Random House Publishing Group, which is a division of Random House, Inc., whose parent company is Bertelsmann AG, the international media company.

FROM LANCE TO LANDIS by David Walsh, will be on sale June 26, 2007.

See also.

http://www.randomhouse.com/rhpg/catalog ... 0345499622

Comments

• <i>The Tour de France, as revealed by Walsh, is riddled with admitted dopers and those who contest positive doping results and deny use . . </i>

oh - that was revealed by walsh was it?
  • Salsiccia
    Salsiccia Posts: 405
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">FROM LANCE TO LANDIS by David Walsh, will be on sale June 26, 2007.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

What a coincidence! The Tour starts only a few days later!

The words 'Bandwagon' and 'Jumping' come to mind...
    I was only joking when I said
    by rights you should be bludgeoned in your bed
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Salsiccia</i>
    What a coincidence! The Tour starts only a few days later!

The words 'Bandwagon' and 'Jumping' come to mind...

Most cycling books come out before the Tour. Marketing.
  • I think you'll find nearly all the cycling books written are now published just before the Tour de France , of course it isn't a coincidence .

However much people may dislike David Walsh and Paul Kimmage to name but two , what they have written seems to be becoming more and more relevant with each revelation about cyclists who have doped .

Perhaps people would now like to repeat their opinions that Kimmage made it all up because he was bitter about the way his career turned out ?

http://www.eastyorkshireclassic.co.uk/n ... index.aspx
  • Langenberg
    Langenberg Posts: 453
    Must admit, I think that is fair enough as well in a 'Who would start selling swimming trunks in winter'-kinda way.

=====================
    Pas de progrŠs sans peigne.
    =====================
  • Langenberg
    Langenberg Posts: 453
    Oh and Kimmage is just bitter and twisted coz he didn't make it in pro cycling..... NOT!!
    =====================
  • so if he has irefutable proof about any rider, and he loves the sport so much, why have the relevent authorities not been informed??
  • andy_welch
    andy_welch Posts: 1,101
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bigdawg</i>

so if he has irefutable proof about any rider, and he loves the sport so much, why have the relevent authorities not been informed??

Maybe he thinks that the relevant authorities are part of the problem. And he's hardly alone in that view.

Cheers,

Andy
  • mtsuit
    mtsuit Posts: 15
    I'm surprised to see this is down as being published on the 26th as I was in a bookshop on Saturday and saw it behind the counter, was able to buy a copy, and have read it already.
  • lucretiuscp
    lucretiuscp Posts: 135
    was there anything new? Was it interesting and/or informative?
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Langenberg</i>

Oh and Kimmage is just bitter and twisted coz he didn't make it in pro cycling..... NOT!!

That's the way he came across to me in the book, moaned about being beaten by dopers, took dope, still get wooped, so moaned some more. I think if he'd have been more successful when he was doped up, he wouldn't have become so self rightious.

My bikes - http://flickr.com/photos/82587774@N00/

I want one of these !! http://www.ciclicasati.it/italiano/foto_laser.htm
  • Keith Oates
    Keith Oates Posts: 22,036
    Well, I for one will not be buying or reading the book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ride Daily, Keep Healthy

Ride Daily, Keep Healthy
  • mtsuit
    mtsuit Posts: 15
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by lucretius</i>

was there anything new? Was it interesting and/or informative?

I think it was worth reading. I don't know enough of what allegations have been made public previously to be sure what's new in the book, but I assume some of it is new, although lot of the timeline it covers is pre LA Confidential being published.

There is only one chapter about Landis and one about Tyler Hamilton out of about 20 in total.
  • uptown
    uptown Posts: 31
    Complete tosh in my opinion, most of it is rehashed from the earlier 2 "books". Just trying to cash in on the current doping publicity / imminent tdf etc

No time for walsh at all, acts as if he's on some crusade but really just trying to exploit the sport for his own gain
  • Bernie S
    Bernie S Posts: 118
    Kimmage said in the Sunday Times last year during the Tour that Pat McQuaid had bad mouthed him on Irish tv and accused him of exagerating to sell his book. As Kimmage says for a man who said there was no drugs problem he is spending an awful lot of time trying to sort it out.