GPS crossbar mounting

Orbiter
Orbiter Posts: 32
edited June 2007 in Workshop
Does anyone know of a way to mount a GPS (Garmin Etrex Legend) on a crossbar? My touring bike has butterfly bars which don't have enough space after computer & light.

TIA

Pete

Comments

• Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    The Minoura "SpaceGrip" bracket will fit around a stem, turn the bar through 90 degrees, and this will then take the Etrex.

Alternatively, if you have a "capped" stem, you can replace the cap with an extension piece (such as the System EX)This will allow the Garmin to fit in and above the centre of the bars.

How well these will work will depend on the actual bars as these can vary in angles and widths.

Both systems will take a GPS an a light.

<b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • rickwiggans
    rickwiggans Posts: 416
    The way I've done is successful, but a bit scary! I've done it twice now, so I know it works OK. As you will know, the Garmin handlebar mount is in two halves, hinged together. I drilled out the hinge pin, then drilled two small holes (Side to side) through what is effectively the top half of the mount. You can then mount it onto your cross bar using small cable ties. I mounted mine on the handlebar stem, but the principle is the same. Just takes a bit of confidence to cut something in half you've just piad good money for - but it gives a neat job,

Rick

http://garstangcyclingclub.net
  • Orbiter
    Thanks for the answers. I'd thought about the SpaceGrip but didn't realise it could be turned, which makes it feasible. I was hoping for a neater answer - like Rick's, which I'll certainly try.

[8D]

Pete
  • Orbiter
    I tried Rick's suggestion and it's the bee's knees. Many thanks for the idea Rick [:D] Out of curiosity I also bought a SpaceGrip and it would certainly do the job, but less neatly. It'll appear on one of my bikes one day though as it's a really neat gadget.

Pete
  • rickwiggans
    rickwiggans Posts: 416
    Glad to help[:)]

http://garstangcyclingclub.net
  • nashcom
    nashcom Posts: 255
    I'm interested in the capped stem extender thing Cunobelin mentioned, but I couldn't see it on the provided link. Where can I see/buy one?

David