Wheel sizes, can anyone help?

craigster266
craigster266 Posts: 85
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
Last week the wheel rim on my back wheel cracked loosening one of the spokes and effectively writing off the wheel. I bought a pair of Como Quest wheels as replacements, but I'm unsure if I'll need to replace the inner tubes and/or the tires. The wheels are marked as ETRTO 622 x 14/700C, while the tire is a 700 x 23C. The inner tube is is a Specialized 700 x 20-28. The valve is too short for the new wheel, and I'm unsure what to buy as none of the inner tubes I've seen come marked as 622 x 14.

Comments

• blackhands
    blackhands Posts: 950
    Just ask for a 700C long valve tube for a 23mm tyre. (Good wheels - I've had no trouble in 5000 miles).
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    All is explained in detail here

Basically a 622 is the same as a 700c, just a different way of describing it.

That takes care of the first bit!

Each tyre / rim is marked by a second set of numbers as in 622 - <b>23</b> THis referes to the width of the tyre.

25 is 25 mm, a narrow racing tyre and 47 is 47 mm, a balloon tyre such as the Big Apples.

What you have now is a 622 (700c) rim with a tyre that is 622 (7OOcc) and just over an inch wide. As it is wider than the rim number (14) you are therefore OK.
    (edited - I should have said that the tube should match the tyre and not the rim, which is usually much narrower than the tyre.)

Note: Some tyre rim combinations are tight, so don't worry if the tyres are more difficult to put on.

Your old tyres should be fine.

<b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)