Grating sound from cassette

shmo
shmo Posts: 321
edited June 2007 in Workshop
Took the wheel off earlier and gave the cassette a blast of degreaser and a good wipe. It's really clean now but the cassette makes a grinding sound when I turn it which sounds like a bit of grit has got stuck somewhere. I've got a cloth between all the cogs and the plastic guard and the whole thing looks pristine so can't tell what's making the noise.

I don't have a lockring tool to take off the cassette so I'm pondering whether to just grease it and forget about it or try and blast it with water.

Comments

• this is probably a stupid question but did you also clean and re-lubricate your chain at the same time?

pm
    pm
  • shmo
    Yeah I have done that but I've taken the wheel off again now because of the grating noise. I can still hear it when I just turn the cassette by hand. Pretty sure it wasn't like that before I cleaned it would have thought I have noticed.

All I did was squirt it with white lightning clean streak and stuck a rag between the cogs. Was pretty careful not to get any degreaser down the inside of the lockring too.
  • wotbus@
    wotbus@ Posts: 301
    Sounds like you have inadvertently degreased the cassette body bearings. Not much you can do without dismantling. I assume you are talking about noisy free-wheel action when you spin the cassette (wheel out) and not noisy wheel bearings when you just spin the wheel (wheel in).

PS: Don't blast it with anything as you may force foreign matter into the bearings.

Edit: adds PS.
  • shmo
    That sounds right. It doesn't make the noise when the whole wheel is spinning like when turning the peddles. It's actually a lot better now seems to have quietened down a lot. Only thing now is that I swear that the freewheel doesn't travel as far as it used to. Seems to slow down really fast but that could just be my imagination.

Will ride it in to work tomorrow and stop by the LBS for some Q&A and a lockring tool. Cheers guys.