first service problems

Felix-da-house-mouse
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
I have just taken my Cannondale Liquigas for its 1st service (4 weeks)now it is a double ten speed gearset on it. i explained that 10th gear on low (easy) cog rattles and clunks, further to inspection the chain is hitting the guard/runner and causing it to jump slightly so therefor not running true, the had a quick look at it and explained that it was because the chain was crossing at an angle and then the buggered off and left me and said they couldnt do anymore which is bull sh*t. i also heard them miscalling me because i'm scots i imagine and this is in carlisle england.

i take the bike from the shop and cycle to the train station then find that some gears are knackered and dont go into that precise gear on the bottom cog. the top (easiest) gear works but clicks like hell.

what can i do? can i return the bike and tell them to keep it or what? i may contact Cannondale and complain!!

any advice to help my rather p*ssed off self?

Cheers

ooooh ya cheeky munkee
felix's bike

pedal like you stole something!!!

Comments

• to provide further information, tell us what cog you are using on the front when you experience the problem? And which cog at rear (largest or smallest?)
  • shimano 105 gearset

ooooh ya cheeky munkee
    felix's bike

• not what I asked!!
  • well what do you want to know i'm not a bloody bike mechanic

ooooh ya cheeky munkee
    felix's bike

• hense the reason i am posting in the beginners section

ooooh ya cheeky munkee
    felix's bike

• Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    children, children don't get carried away! [;)]

He wants to know what gear you are in when you experience the problems. Big or small ring at the front? You have said it's the big rear ring but what about the front? It sounds like it should be easily fixed and the bike shop are a bunch of ****ers
  • OK
    1. lets start with the front first then. You will have 2 cogs (always known as chainrings), one small and one large. Tell me which chainring you are on when experiencing the problem
    2. Now to move to the back cogs (always known as the cassette). Tell me which cog you are on when experiencing the problem.
  • 16mm
    16mm Posts: 545
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Felix-da-house-mouse</i>

the chain is hitting the guard/runner and causing it to jump slightly so therefor not running true, the had a quick look at it and explained that it was because the chain was crossing at an angle and then the buggered off and left me and said they couldnt do anymore which is bull sh*t.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Not sure it's bull. Chains like running in a straight line. It sounds like you're running the chain at the greatest angle (small front / small back).
    This combination and the big/big combination shouldn't really be used as the chain is running at an extreme angle. Because of this angle the chain is rubbing on the front mech, but the front mech *may* still be adjusted OK (ie to work quickly and efficiently to shift between the two front chainrings in the rest of the gears).
    Personally I avoid the two smallest sprockets when on the small ring, and the two biggest when on the big ring. It all works better and lasts longer that way.
    ta
    Mike
  • Bagonabike
    Bagonabike Posts: 2,239
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Noodley</i>
    You have said it's the big rear ring but what about the front? It sounds like it should be easily fixed and the bike shop are a bunch of ****ers

I read it the same as 16mm - as meaning 10th gear (top at the back) and low (easy ring)meaning small ring at the front. Which means that it could be down to chain cross.

But anyway it sounds like the rest of the gears aren't adjusted correctly if they're jumping. They should be able to adjust this really quickly.
  • sorry Simon just really annoyed about it all, its the the small chainring, and gear 1 and 10 on the cassette, also 4 and 5 dont work properly, neither seem to engage correctly.

ooooh ya cheeky munkee
    felix's bike

• Bagonabike
    Bagonabike Posts: 2,239
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Felix-da-house-mouse</i>

sorry Simon just really annoyed about it all, its the the small chainring, and gear 1 and 10 on the cassette, also 4 and 5 dont work properly, neither seem to engage correctly.

ooooh ya cheeky munkee

Sounds like the rear derailleur needs adjusting, which they should do as part of the first service - I'd take it back to the shop. If they refuse to do it, try another (friendlier) bike shop.

I'd echo what's said above though and avoid running small ring at the front with top gear (smallest cog) at the back 'cos it always seems to rub due to chain cross.
  • if they refuse to sort it they'll be getting the bike back, its only 4 weeks old, i've sentan email to Cannondale to complain regarding the service i recieved. I'd be surprised if they actually did service it

ooooh ya cheeky munkee
    felix's bike

• Noodley
    Although I wouldn't run the bike with such a big chain cross there should not be a problem in doing so if the gearing is set properly. It does not sound as if it is if the gears are jumping (as Bagonabike has already said). Take it back to them and say the gearing is not set correctly and that you are not leaving til it is - then never go back to them. Find a shop that cares about their customers - I am sure they were more than happy to take your money, they should be happy enough to help you. They sound like the kind of shop which leads to a lot of people using Halfords, et al.
  • Noodley
    Felix, you could always do it yourself - I am sure we could talk you through it [;)]
  • yeah true Noodley, see the problem is the shop is a 40 minute train ride away and i work most Saturdays, might be open 2morro tho.

ooooh ya cheeky munkee
    felix's bike

• how hard is it to set up correctly then? i may even take it to oneof my local helpful cycle shops and paythem to sort it out.

time for a nice cold one i think.

balls off drink til September at least, thats that idea chapped on the head aswell

ooooh ya cheeky munkee
    felix's bike

• Noodley
    It's very easy. Even I can do it - it involves a bit of twiddling.