Carbon or Alu

pauly_valentine
pauly_valentine Posts: 11
edited June 2007 in Workshop
My second post, 1st one was for what bike to get with a œ1500 budget. I am due to do an ironman on August 19th as a bet..a month ago I was 17 stone, now 15'5. The general advise was to just go try a load, which I have. I went to an Evans near where I work and they were not much help and the highest end bike they had was œ1200. But was so much nicer than but œ250 moutain bike. So worth the money, I then popped into a place called "on your bike" and got chatting and one of the blokes (who does triathlons and looks like he needed a few bags of crisps) said to get a carbon light Alu frame as they have less flex, more responsive and less prone to breaking. I do a good amount of weights and he thinks with my upper body carbon is even more so, is not a good idea. Just when I thought I knew what I wanted...more choice... for me œ1500 seems alot of money for a bike...well, when it could be spent on high class hookers and what ever the cool kids take in night clubs. But I want to give myself the best chance. Helpppppppp

Cheers for any replys.

Comments

• woody-som
    woody-som Posts: 1,001
    I'd go for Ti. Strong, but a forgiving ride. (www.vannicholas.com)
  • Sorry, I know nothing....What is a Ti?
  • msb123
    msb123 Posts: 274
    titanium

i have a van nicholas and love it.

i assume that you are looking for a 'road' bike - ie with conventional drop handlebars - and not a triathlon specific bike - which will have slightly different geometry and 'tri' bars?

where are you based?
  • msb123, woody-som. I think we have a winner. Sweet looking bike, fell for the sales speal on the website like a like vicky pollard in a pink jump suit [}:)]

Looks like what I need, but it does not give info about weight of the bike? How does it compare to carbon? Anywhere you can see them in the flesh?

Thanks,

Paul
  • ah..found my own answer kinda. They show a chart on their site and if you get Reynolds TI it out performs carbon, lighter..better ride quality. But that is the most exspensive one. But would be good to know weight difference with the normal TI.
  • msb123
    msb123 Posts: 274
    the only place i know that you can see them is a shop called fat birds don't fly in hunstanton - who were helpful with mine. you my be able to find someone closer to you with a bit of searching.

they will probably be a bit heavier than top of the line carbon (depending on how they are built up) but, to be honest, if you are 15.5 stone you can make up the difference more easily (and a lot more cheaply!)by dropping a couple of more pounds since it sounds like you have been pretty successful at that

i would probably avoid ordering from the internet if possible if it is a first road bike since the fit will be very important and, while fit calculators will take you so far, the best way to tell if they were correct is to sit on the bike and ride it around a bit!
  • Mr P
    Mr P Posts: 548
    Pauly, BikePlus in Croydon will be a bit handier for Dartford...give them a call and see what they have in the shop...
  • woody-som
    woody-som Posts: 1,001
    weight for all the Van Nicolas bikes are in the catalogue (download from here http://www.vannicholas.com/Howto/WbmCatalog.aspx ), or do a custom build online, and it will tell you the weight as you go for the complete bike.
  • they will probably be a bit heavier than top of the line carbon (depending on how they are built up) but, to be honest, if you are 15.5 stone you can make up the difference more easily (and a lot more cheaply!)by dropping a couple of more pounds since it sounds like you have been pretty successful at that

Loose a few more pounds...I am logging off now to be sick and eat some cotton wool now [:)]. Cheers for all your help.