GPS interfering with Polar HRM?

nmcgann
nmcgann Posts: 1,780
edited June 2007 in Workshop
I've just installed a Polar S720i HRM on my bars one side of the stem and an old Garmin GPS60 on the other side - unfortunately the GPS interferes with the Polar speed sensor detection and makes it read bonkers values.

I ended up wearing the polar on my wrist to get it further away, which works OK with the speed sensor - but then it can't reliably see the cadence sensor and I can't see my HR as easily, so that's not ideal.

Anyone had similar problems? ....or not had problems with a GPS mounted close to this model of Polar?

I quite fancy getting one of the new Etrex Venture Cx models with colour screen and much longer battery life (the gps60 is only borrowed), but it would be a pain if it won't play nice with my Polar either.

Neil
--
"Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."

Comments

• woody-som
    woody-som Posts: 1,001
    I had a similar problem with 3 cordless computers (all different makes), and my Garmin etrex. Had to use a wired computer, and wear a HRM on the wrist, just a pain trying to look at it.
  • My S720i also interferes with a garmin etrex.

I didn't think it did when I first got it.

I did try putting the HRM around my drinks bottle on the down tube and this seemed to work both HR and speed.

I will try to experiment a bit more but 90% of my riding is commuting so I don't generally use the GPS

Racing is rubbish you can't relax and enjoy it- because some bugger is always trying to get past.
    Racing is rubbish you can\'t relax and enjoy it- because some bugger is always trying to get past.