Hit Side On

ChrisKH
ChrisKH Posts: 1,717
edited June 2007 in Commuting chat
One mile from home tonight a car attempted to turn right into the road I was on and park in a parking bay to the left of the road. In one manouevre (spell.). Unfortunately the guy didn't see me. He plowed into the side of me and hearing my screams only then started to turn right whilst hitting me. I don't know how I managed to stay on the Brommie until the last moment when the forward impetus, the car driving into the side of the bike and my braking forced me over the handlebars to the left. I rolled left and there was no car there which saved me from much worse, I think.

Surprisingly not much damage to me. Road rash and some nasty cuts on my leg. I ache like I've been hit by a bus or played a full-on game of rugby. My leg and chest is bruised and my back aches.

"I didn't see you" he said. He did apologise, however it was his fault and I did have right of way. Strangely I had a premonition 10 seconds before the hit and was very very alert although I was expecting something from the left (eg pedestrian or open door) so was in the secondary position 1-1.5 metres out and I was just reaching the brow of an incline so I was hardly motoring. He clearly didn't look before pulling out (wish I had had a helmet-cam) and had he been turning left and not trying to go over the road into the parking space there's a good chance he would have just missed me.

Just had a chance to look at the bike and I think it's buggered. The rear A-frame, rear wheel, derailleur, rear cogs, mud guard,etc. took the full force of the car (fortunately for me) and it is buckled beyond belief. I'll have to take it to my LBS tomorrow to see whether it's repairable. Hopefully CTC are open tomorrow so I can get some advice. [:(]

The good news is I live to ride another day. I alwys said that if I was going to have an accident it would at home in the 'burbs not in the City.

Be careful out there.

Baby elephants are so last year, darling.

Comments

• BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Oh blimey mate, glad you're OK. Hit up some ibuprofen and hope you recover quickly and well. Take the blighter for as much as he deserves.

<font size="1">My bikes
    My skates</font id="size1">

If I had a baby elephant, I'd teach it to skate.
  • What BentMikey said [:)]

• Hackbike 6
    Hackbike 6 Posts: 3,116
    What Jacomus-rides-Gen said [:)]

<font color="green"><font size="1">Hackbike 8 Commuting Debut 09/09/2006</font id="green"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="blue">Dawes Audax 2006</font id="blue"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="green"> New 20/09/2006</font id="green"><font color="red"> </font id="red"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1"><font color="red"> Cycle Commuting since 1981 </font id="red"></font id="blue"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1">Cycling Proficiency Test 24 May 1977</font id="blue"><font color="red"><font size="1"> (30 years ago)</font id="size1"></font id="red"></font id="size1">

<font size="1"><font color="red"> Ride to work part 1 of 8 http://tinyurl.com/ypjapc</font id="size1"></font id="red">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 2 of 8 </font id="size1"></font id="red"><font size="1">http://tinyurl.com/2jfagu</font id="size1">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 3 of 8</font id="red"></font id="size1"><font size="1"> http://tinyurl.com/2jcldv </font id="size1">
  • ChrisKH
    Cheers Guys. 60mg Codeine and 1000mg Paracetomol combo just kicking in.......[:0][:o)][:o)][:p]

• yenrodcp
    yenrodcp Posts: 9,991
    AS I was riding thru a set of lights , recently, the junction was quiet too, some jerk just couldn't be bothered waiting and went for it even acknowledging me as he passed, my wheel locked up !

If I would have had a gun or something he woud have been injured.

In 1 way I'm lucky most of my riding is done outside of built up areas but its always when you return I think how stupid, lazy, fat, cheeky, disrespectful, people are !

Even b4 this, on a long hill some bloke drove close by me' whilst passing as the traffic was VERY temporarily snarled (an Ambulance passed (oncoming).

Then at the top he was on the phone on the right, off the road and I looked at him; could of gestured something but I just thought : someone will get him one day !

[;)] 'tuono nel mio cuore...[:)]
    [;)] \'tuono nel mio cuore...[:)]
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    Manoeuvre.

"I didn't see you" usually translates to "I wasn't looking".

Baby elephants? Pah!!
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by yenrod</i>

Even b4 this, on a long hill some bloke drove close by me' whilst passing as the traffic was VERY temporarily snarled (an Ambulance passed (oncoming).
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    I find the passage of an emergency vehicle is one of the most dangerous things I encounter regularly on the road. It's not the emergency vehicle, but it's the crazy things the other bastards do in its wake that's the problem. I find it's best to just get the hell off the road and wait until the usual levels of (in)sanity return to the roads.
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    The other week I saw some nutter chasing behind an ambulance, when he finally got stuck in traffic I came up next to him and saw that he'd been talking on the phone at the same time. He didn't take too kindly to being told he was a tosser for doing either of those things.

<font size="1">My bikes

• yenrodcp
    yenrodcp Posts: 9,991
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Graeme_S</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by yenrod</i>

I find the passage of an emergency vehicle is one of the most dangerous things I encounter regularly on the road. It's not the emergency vehicle, but it's the crazy things the other bastards do in its wake that's the problem. <b>I find it's best to just get the hell off the road and wait until the usual levels of (in)sanity return to the roads.</b>

I'm starting to think about doing that - coz when you think of it we are nothing in regards to size compared to a car !

[;)] 'tuono nel mio cuore...[:)]
    [;)] \'tuono nel mio cuore...[:)]
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BentMikey</i>

The other week I saw some nutter chasing behind an ambulance, when he finally got stuck in traffic I came up next to him and saw that he'd been talking on the phone at the same time. He didn't take too kindly to being told he was a tosser for doing either of those things.
    Perhaps he was a lawyer.

Baby elephants? Pah!!
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • magnatom
    magnatom Posts: 492
    That sounds nasty ChrisKH. If its ok with the medication have a virtual stiff drink on me!

Hope the wounds heal soon.[B)]
  • AndyGates
    AndyGates Posts: 8,467
    Glad you're reasonably okay Chris, now screw his insurance company for a staggering amount.

Numpty fool. [:(]

<font size="1">
    <b>No longer looking for a pennyfarthing as I've got some powerbocks instead. Casualty here I come!</b>
    It is by will alone I set my ride in motion.</font id="size1">
    Wanted: Penny farthing. Please PM me!
    Advice for kilted riders: top-tubes are cold.
  • Buggi
    Buggi Posts: 674
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BentMikey</i>

<font size="1">My bikes

my sister is a paramedic, they get people following them to get through the traffic all the time. it's extremely distracting for them when they are trying to concentrate on getting through the traffic and they have ways of dealing with them, which i believe is to slam on the brakes causing the offender to slam into the back of them.

hope you feel better today Chris.

To infinity... and beyond!
    my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia

To infinity... and beyond!
    my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia
  • ChrisKH
    Thanks for the responses everybody. Very stiff and sore on Saturday. Bike shop thinks Brompton is a write off; rear A frame is completely askew and they have doubts the chassis/connecting part of the main frame is not damaged. It may have to go back to Brompton to be checked on their jig.

CTC weren't particularly helpful. Despite the cover of third party insurance they didn't seem to want to give the details out too quickly asking me to 'claim on the other party's insurance or take out a small-claim in the court'. They were more interested in pursuing a personal injury claim whereas my concern is with the bike. Tried contacting the other party's insurers to be told 'we only deal with other insurance companies' which rather precludes you if you have no insurance. Eventually got CTC to send out third party insurance documents (Norwich Union) as the driver wants to make a claim on me (would you believe it!). Final position all rides on the police report and whether he accepts liability/responsibility. Police won't press charges I feel but if I can get him to admit blame in a legal framework his insurers will be forced to pay up. I hope.

• Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    Hi Chris, Glad you are OK.

It makes me wonder if we all need video cameras and tape recorders. It would appear that drivers are all "SMIDSY" at the scene, but once they get home they're all "fu**ing cyclists" and change their minds to what actually happened. Never mind that they may nearly have killed someone, they're biggest concern is not losing their no claims!!

SNAPS
  • Uncle Mort
    Uncle Mort Posts: 1,124
    Best wishes, Chris, and as others have said, glad it was the bike that took the most punishment, rather than you. Hope the insurance thing goes OK. This won't do you any good, but in many countries nowadays, the onus of guilt (in insurance terms anyway) falls automatically on the car driver when they've collided with a "weaker" road user. It's up to them to prove they weren't responsible, not up to the cyclist to prove they were. It has its faults but on balance I find it sensible.

Chris,

Glad you are OK.

worth saying that ibuprofen is preferred over parectomol and codeine when you are battered and bruised because it has an anti-inflamatory action (rather than just dealing with the pain sensors) which helps healing and stiffness

J
  • ChrisKH
    Thanks Guys. I can't take Ibuprofen Jedster (much as I would like to) also can't take Aspirin as the anti-inflammatory properties play havoc with a long-term immune condition I have.

• hevipedal
    hevipedal Posts: 2,475
    Take the bike into the lbs by all means but stick him for a new one............ as a starter.

<b><font color="red"> Hevipedal </font id="red"></b>
    Phrase of the week - <font color="red"><font size="3"><b> I've got a bike. You can ride it if you like.
    It's got a basket, a bell that rings and
    Things to make it look good.
    I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it.
    </font id="red"> </font id="size3"> </b>

51yrs old and Proud of it - Made it to 87kg 2 more to go for the target.
    Pedal to Paris Sept 2007
    Hevipedal
    It's not only people that are irrational; 1.4142135623730950488016887242096980785696718753769480731766797379907324784621
  • ChrisKH
    Quick update. Police are taking this very seriously and want me to attend the scene with a traffic cop to carry out a sketch and get my side of the story as 'it isn't clear what happened' (which I think reads: the driver's story is different from yours). Surprised to hear that I have photographs at the scene and of skid-marks from the bike showing the path the bike took before he took me out. And the skid marks are still there. Which is nice.

• Chris_Who
    Chris_Who Posts: 137
    Glad to hear of progress with this. Taking photos yourself as soon as you can after an incident really is a great help with establishing liability later. Also obvious but if you're lucky enough to have any, witness details are fantastic.

I had a previous experience with a SMIDSY where because of his apolgies and liability admissions at the time I took no further evidence and didn't bother reporting it to the police. When the bill was presented the story was very different!! This made further pursuit very difficult.

Fat people are so insensitive

Fat people are so insensitive
  • Tynancp
    Tynancp Posts: 160
    all sounds good, I look forward to his version of events that explains him crossing the centre line and hitting you that excuses him from blame

expect to find out that you signalled him to go ahead, hopefully he'll fess up properly, at the end of the day what sort of claim is he expecting anyway?

nice to hear the coppers taking it seriously
  • Cab
    Cab Posts: 770
    Good to know that the old bill are taking it seriously. Good luck with this.

<i>Free baby elephants for every citizen</i>
    Vote Arch for Prime Minister
  • rothbook
    rothbook Posts: 943
    A driver pulled out and hit me. I screamed at him, he got out, took my name and address and drove round that evening with a cheque.
  • Tynancp
    good and sensible for him

twice I've had very clear no fault accidents and both times insisted they pay on the spot or the cops, in both cases I ended up short after cabs and repairs but it more or less covered it, new back wheel both times
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    some motorists have an amazing world view, not a car on bike story but my boss was in a multistorey car park in a car stopped in the line waiting to get round when a woman reversed out of a space into the side of him and said the accident was his fault as he didnt see her and get out of her way [:D] She seriously seemed to believe that...

The husband of one of my wifes friends caused a serious accident on a dual carriageway, because he believe that he had priority coming from a slip road onto the carriageway, the cars already on the dual carraigeway wouldnt move out to let him out as he drove up. Because he believed he had priority he drove straight into the side of a car that he thought was being a bad driver for not giving way to him.

The aftermath left him in hospital. He has since been corrected. I just cant believe anyone is bloody minded enough to cause an accident in order to enforce what they perceive to be their right, I guess if they will do it to a car, what would stop them doing it to a bike [:(]
  • Archcp
    Archcp Posts: 8,987
    Ugh, sorry to hear all that, but better the bike's a write off than you... Hope the police do follow it up seriously, and the guy learns a lesson when he gets his next insurance premium.

Sadly, I'm starting to wonder if helmet cams are the way to go for all of us. I got mine partly just to make films with, but it's got now that I'm starting almost to feel unprotected without it, because in the time I've been wearing it, nothing much has happened, and as soon as I leave it at home I just know...

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me clean the car. If I had a car.
    If I had a baby elephant, it could help me clean the car. If I had a car.
  • magnatom
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Arch</i>

Sadly, I'm starting to wonder if helmet cams are the way to go for all of us. I got mine partly just to make films with, but it's got now that I'm starting almost to feel unprotected without it, because in the time I've been wearing it, nothing much has happened, and as soon as I leave it at home I just know...

I'm the same Arch. I hate cycling without it now. I'm not looking forward to winter when the camera won't pick up very much in the low light [:0]
  • magnatom
    Ooops! ChrisKH I should also say, sorry to hear about the accident and good luck with the police etc!!
  • Tynancp
    how much are these helmet cams and how much ag are they?

the footage I've seen is very good