LUBE!!!!!!

Felix-da-house-mouse
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
Hi,

Just bought a Cannondale Liquigas road bike and i'm looking for some suggestions on the dogs dangly bits of lube for chain and bearings etc etc,

two elephants fell off a cliff............ boom boom!!!

ooooh ya cheeky munkee
felix's bike

pedal like you stole something!!!

Comments

• longers75
    longers75 Posts: 214
    What did the bloke who sold you it recommend?

<font size="1"> ~~~~~~~~~~~~</font id="size1">
    <font size="1"><i> i always wanted to cycle to work - now i want to live further away </i></font id="size1">
  • juggler
    juggler Posts: 262
    longers 75 - i really have to congratulate you on your invaluable contribution.
  • JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    Chain wise:
    Am using Finish Line Teflon dry lube. (green bottle).
    White Lightning gets some votes, but I didn't like it.
  • derosa
    derosa Posts: 2,819
    Finish Line green bottle is the WET lube, red bottle is DRY.
    I use the dry in summer and wet for the rest of the year.
    Avoid wax based lubes (White Lightning etc) - they are a nightmare!

Big H

3 Grand Bike, 30 bob legs!

Big H

May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind always be at your back.
  • longers75
    Sorry, I was far too grumpy for my own good last night.[:I]

Plenty of people recommend the Finish Line range so it's a good place to start. By the time you've used a can/bottle you'll have a fair idea about its strengths and limitations. Next time buy something different for comparison. Whatever you use do it regular on a nice bike like that.

Felix - any chance you could cut down on capitals and excessive !!!!! in the title? I don't like people shouting at me when I've been drinking cider.

<font size="1"><i> i always wanted to cycle to work - now i want to live further away </i></font id="size1">
  • vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Felix-da-house-mouse</i>

Hi,

Just bought a Cannondale Liquigas road bike and i'm looking for some suggestions on the dogs dangly bits of lube for chain and bearings etc etc,
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I've used Finish Line green top for the past three years. I've not had any problems with the stuff. I never got on with the wax based lubes such as White Lightning nor the dry lubes like Finish Line red top.
  • venster
    venster Posts: 356
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by derosa</i>

Avoid wax based lubes (White Lightning etc) - they are a nightmare!

Big H

3 Grand Bike, 30 bob legs!
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Sory to hijack thread, but why are wax lubes a nightmare? I'm trying to find an alternative to oil and was going to try this stuff after my dry lube has gone.
  • palinurus
    palinurus Posts: 836
    I got on very well with White Lightning for a while. First the transmission must be really thouroughly degreased and dried. Then apply, then apply again the following day. I used it on a commuting bike during summer and reapplied regularly (this is necessary, otherwise the transmission squeaks, so it will work out more expensive than other lubes). I never cleaned the chain during the period I used it (now there's an advantage), but black crud built up between the sprockets, it was brushed out easily, dry, with a paintbrush. Very quick. It is also good in dry, dusty conditions, the self-cleaning thing does work in the dry. I used it during a tour which took in a fair bit of cinder surface bike paths, no problems with it there.

However: In the wet I found it worked poorly, in the winter, with continual damp and wet road it was useless. Didn't lube, didn't self-clean, didn't protect. Even in good conditions, a long ride, especially coupled with a short shower at the start, would sometimes result in squeaky transmission at the end of the ride. I used to keep the bottle in my jersey pocket.

I liked it, but it was too sensitive to use conditions. I've switched to Prolink Gold (good bike) and finish line (commuter).
  • shaun75
    shaun75 Posts: 223
    Purple Extreme works for me. Nice bike Felix by the way!

we'll see things they'll never see
  • inchcape
    inchcape Posts: 38
    what is the main difference between dry and wet is it just the viscosity of the lube.
  • gb1
    gb1 Posts: 93
    prolink gold on both bikes for me! Fantastic stuff, really good lube, keeps chain clean, dosen't go all claggy and dosen't collect dirt and grime. Agree with Venster about avoiding wax based lubes.

If only I could ride as fast as my bike looks!
  • Bagonabike
    Bagonabike Posts: 2,239
    I use Finish Line Cross Country which seems to do the job even when the roads are soaking.

One application of Purple Extreme only lasted about a week - didn't get on with it at all!
  • longers75
    I was parked up next to a "cannondale liquigas" at a triathlon today. Bloody hell! You really have got yourself a very nice bike. [:p]

Enjoy. And keep it well oiled, See above for details.

<font size="1"><i> I'm just going outside . . . I may be some time.</i></font id="size1">
  • coxy2
    coxy2 Posts: 7
    Wet lube is your plain old 'oily' oil. Works well as a lube especially in the wet but collects muck and grime. Need to clean the chain more often.

Dry lube goes on wet but 'dries' to leave a chain that won't collect as much dirt. You'll need to apply it more often and it doesn't last too long in the wet.

Wax lube has it's lubricating properties in a wax-like substance that is applied in a solvent. The solvent evapourates and leaves the wax on. It's supposed to be self-cleaning as the wax drops off. I don't like it on the chain, but it's very good for lubing cables, expecially on a mountain bike.

I'm trying out Purple Extreme at the moment. It's nice and clean and no problems so far - not sure how long it will last in the wet.
  • scannings
    scannings Posts: 82
    Purple Extreme waorks well for me too, fine all through last winter onmy winter steed and spot on now the sun is here and the "proper bike" gets to come out and play. works out damn cheap too at œ10.00 a bottle which seems to last for ages.[:)][:)][:)]
    Steve

At the end of the day......................................it gets dark.
    At the end of the day......................................it gets dark.