edinburgh cycles - free service

HTMLHugo
HTMLHugo Posts: 19
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
just a quick one really

i got my bike from these guys, 6 weeks ago ive done maybe 200 miles tops on it, and can get a free service.

however the plastic casing on the pedals is knackered everything else seems fine.

i cant be bothered moaning about the peddles and maybe its cos im a fatty they broke (one within the first 5 miles) the other after 30ish

anyway i thought id get some metal pedals and some mudguards and a bottle holder type thing. will i have to pay for them fit this stuff ? or will they do it within the service ?

Comments

• Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    They maybe will not do it within the "service" but I would expect you should not have to pay for the fitting if buying from them and asking for it to be fitted at the same time as service - and make a point of highlighting the damage to the pedals as 200 miles is "nothing"
  • photojonny
    photojonny Posts: 382
    They'll do it.

I broke a spoke a day before my 6-week service. They fixed it free.

Then I went on one of their maintenance courses, and when we were doing the gear adjustment bit, we couldn't get my rear mech to shift smoothly. We went through everything systematically, and ended up replacing the cable and plastic housing. Didn't charge me for it.

Should say this was in the Leeds store.

where there's two wheels, there's a way....

where there's two wheels, there's a way....
  • Aidocp
    Aidocp Posts: 868
    Ive found them good for not charging to fit stuff to the bike. Ive always fitted a bottle cage my self but they've never charged me when I got new pedals and mud guards.

If I had a baby elephant, who would take it for walks?
  • HTMLHugo
    HTMLHugo Posts: 19
    to be honest put me in front of a computer im a wizard anyting practical like mechanics / or manual stuff im absolute pants it just stresses me out and i get a rage lol although saying that I kicked my last computer to death in a rage hmm perhaps i need rage assistance, i am not a patient man haha
  • Alcdrewcp
    Alcdrewcp Posts: 63
    Fitting the things your asking about is all quite simple (I'm sure even a mechani phobe like your self could do it) and doesn't take long. I can't see why they would charge you for doing it.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    This is where my witty Elephant prase would be. But Zebra's are so much better.
    Fitting mudguards are easy, not any harder than fitting a PSU and the leads to the correct components.

<font size="1">
    Giant OCR-1 2005 | 2 x Cateye HL EL-500 | Cateye HL-EL400 | 2x Cateye TL-1000 | Lizard Skin chainstay protector | Cateye micro wireless computer | Laseredge Bikelights | Electron 5W+10W </font id="size1">
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Father Jack</i>

Fitting mudguards are easy, not any harder than fitting a PSU and the leads to the correct components.

<font size="1">
    Giant OCR-1 2005 | 2 x Cateye HL EL-500 | Cateye HL-EL400 | 2x Cateye TL-1000 | Lizard Skin chainstay protector | Cateye micro wireless computer | Laseredge Bikelights | Electron 5W+10W </font id="size1">
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

not as easy as taking it to someone else and havig them do it..
  • cooper.michael1
    cooper.michael1 Posts: 1,787
    It depends on who serves you. Last week at my LBS i just took in a wheel to change over cassette, i couldent find my tool for it, normally becuase im in there all the time small things like this which take 2 mins they do for free or a quid....knowing ill be in again in a couple of weeks buying something. However this week for a cassette change they charged œ9, im weeed off with this in a way, considering id spent œ45 on on new headset and fitting 2 days before. This week ive gutted the rest of my commuter bike, and all the cables, new chainring, pads etc ive bought from chainreaction. I normally feel a little guilty about buying these bread and butter things online but sod them, œ9 for 2 minutes ill go elsewhere, a new cassette tool cost œ3.99 from chain reaction.

Counter productive for them because i'll never go in for little things anymore, not if there is an œ9 minimum charge for them to touch my bike. So check first, as if they had told me this before there is no way id have had it done. It was the way they said it too, like 'pay up , minimum charge, thats it' ....talk about loosing your base customers .

Coops
  • vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by cooper.michael1</i>

It depends on who serves you. Last week at my LBS i just took in a wheel to change over cassette, i couldent find my tool for it, normally becuase im in there all the time small things like this which take 2 mins they do for free or a quid....knowing ill be in again in a couple of weeks buying something. However this week for a cassette change they charged œ9, im weeed off with this in a way, considering id spent œ45 on on new headset and fitting 2 days before. This week ive gutted the rest of my commuter bike, and all the cables, new chainring, pads etc ive bought from chainreaction. I normally feel a little guilty about buying these bread and butter things online but sod them, œ9 for 2 minutes ill go elsewhere, a new cassette tool cost œ3.99 from chain reaction.

Counter productive for them because i'll never go in for little things anymore, not if there is an œ9 minimum charge for them to touch my bike. So check first, as if they had told me this before there is no way id have had it done. It was the way they said it too, like 'pay up , minimum charge, thats it' ....talk about loosing your base customers .

Coops
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

C'mon. Name and shame. I'd like to know who's charged that exorbitant sum for such a trivial task.

Nine quid is what I pay for spoke replacement and wheel retruing here in Leeds. i'm quite willing to pay that as I don't have the time or patience to bugger about with the retruing aspect.
  • DLB
    DLB Posts: 631
    I've just today spent about 2.5 hours at their Leeds store sorting out a problem with my gears. There customer service is second to none and they really go the extra mile to help. I would be amazed if they charged you far fitting those if you take it in for your 6 week check up at the same time.

*** Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're probably right ***
    *** Whether you think you can or think you can\'t, you\'re probably right ***
  • Sworkscp
    Sworkscp Posts: 113
    2.5 hours to sort a gear problem...jeez I could strip down a bike and rebuild it in less than 2.5 hours and thats retaping and renewing cables....and removing and refitting tyres...mind you I am great...thats why people beg me to do their bikes in my time at home[:p][:D][:D][:D][:p][;)][:D]

Tounge in cheek before we get the usual snipes....that said I am telling the truth mind[;)]