First attempt at a trangia meal...

Brock_71
Brock_71 Posts: 775
edited September 2007 in Tour & expedition
..was very tasty and filling!
Cous cous with sausages and tomato, onion and garlic hotpot with chorizo slices.
Photo here

Breakfast was good too [:p]

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1">A bicycle is for life, not just for Christmas.</font id="size1">
<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1">A bicycle is for life, not just for Christmas.</font id="size1">

Comments

• Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    Ahhhh, the joy of the Trangia...one of man's better inventions!
    My 14 yr old daughter has just started D of E and they had to go to Trangia training sessions...I was dead jealous!

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1

Fab's TCR1
  • Oldknees
    Oldknees Posts: 214
    Just wonderful. One of the Fell Club (cyclist camping club) members makes his own burners from coke cans - they are the real thing.

Has anybody tried the solid fuel (vegetable fat) cartridges?

slow is good too
    slow is good too
  • Brock_71
    The other half is still too scared to put the extinguishing/simmer ring thing onto the flame though, she invariably drops it next to the flame, then can't retrieve it for fear of being engulfed in flame. So there I am supervising the cooking while I should be whizzing down the road for a bottle of wine or two.

I have been vaguely thinking about trying to make a coke can burner. It might be handy on occasion to have a second gentle burner for simmering a pan of something while the Trangia is taking care of the rest.
    Glad we finally plumped for the non-stick pans anyway.

• Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    NON-STICK PANS!!!!!

That's just not right...

Fab's TCR1

Fab's TCR1
  • Brains
    Brains Posts: 1,732
    Just buy another burner from a good camoing shop, they are only about œ5. To upgrade your trangia I would suggest the following:

The Kettle (unless you got the 27K kit, so you already have it.

A tupperware butter container, exactly the right size to fit inside the kettle. This is for the burner so that your food does not taste of meths.

The gas burner, you can get the real Primus one for about œ45 or a copy for about œ25. It makes life so much easier, but you dont have to take it
  • Brock_71
    Interesting tips Brains.
    I did get the kettle set, although I'm pretty sure the saucepan with frypan lid boils water just as quick if not quicker. Being narrower the kettle loses more heat around the sides maybe? I haven't done any scientific tests, but there's something comforting about the kettle anyway. Shame it doesn't whistle though. Is there an optional Trangia (TM) kettle whistle - œ48.99 + p&p?

The tupperware container sounds like a good idea, I did indeed detect a whiff of meths inside the kettle. Can you still get the pan handle in there aswell? I carried the handle, a lighter and the burner inside the kettle, also I slipped a couple of jay cloths between the pans which cut down on rattle.

The gas burner is something I'm not too sure about. In what ways does it 'make life so much easier'? Obviously I'd like to keep things as simple and light as possible, but is it likely on an extended tour in France or Spain that meths might be hard to come by whereas gas is abundant?
    I was surprised that the campsite I was at last weekend had quite a range of gaz style canisters, various camping necessities and gimmicky gadgets yet no meths at all. Obviously carrying a meths burner is pretty useless if you run out of fuel in the first three days. :/

Yes FF!! Non stick pans!!
    Worth every penny, and no need to carry scourers [:)]

• ut_o_cykla
    ut_o_cykla Posts: 58
    Ahh! J cloths - cycle tourists best friend. Flannel, towel, spill wipe, tea-towel, washing up cloth, bandage(!) tent flood remover etc etc.
    Meths in France is tricky to buy I found. I was told I needed an old fashioned ironmongers when I asked where I could buy it. Certainly petrol stations had none!
    Dithered over Non-stick and decided that heavy handed teenagers and non-stick was not a good idea - went for Duosal instead. Steel inside, easy to clean, aluminium outside for lightness and heat spread.
    Never used a Trangia tho' the pots are brill. Use a Primus multifuel, gas sometimes or paraffin(& meths primer) - a reliable friend.

pousse moi s'il vous plait
    pousse moi s\'il vous plait
  • Brains
    I have a Trangia bag, so the handle, the lighter, and the gas burner travel in the bag, but outside the actual nest of stoves.

I also have a few other Trangia items I have aquired over the years, I have both the folding fish slice and measuring spoon, a second handle, a raqulet wooden spoon, the pasta drainer/cuting board and and steel plate from the small Trangia set, as well as the folding washing up bowl, spork, Opinel knife and a set of film cannisters with various herbs and some airline bottles containing olive oil, washing up liquid etc. Wilst I would not thatke anyting more than the basics on a walking trip, I have taken most of the kit on cycling trips. It all fits in a small stuff sack

It depends on how critical weight is, on a bike I would suggest it is not.

So for a 2 week camp/cycle tour I would take the gas burner, it makes cooking so much easier, and you have the meths burner as backup or if you are cooking something like a stew.

As for meths carriage, I have a 1 liter Trangia bottle, it fits into the bottle cage that is on the underside of my frame, so it can stink all it likes to no effect. Do not carry meths inside a pannier or rucksack
  • Brock_71
    Folding washing up bowl? The mind boggles!

• Brains
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Brock_71</i>

Folding washing up bowl? The mind boggles!

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I got it in a closing down sale for œ3. It's made by Ortalieb and I'd guess retails at a lot more than that. It's dead clever, but not someting I'd take on a hike, but quite useful if you are cycle touring with a big group where weight (and washing up) can be split between the bikes
  • Brains wrote:
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Brock_71</i>
    <br />Folding washing up bowl? The mind boggles!

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I got it in a closing down sale for �3. It's made by Ortalieb and I'd guess retails at a lot more than that. It's dead clever, but not someting I'd take on a hike, but quite useful if you are cycle touring with a big group where weight (and washing up) can be split between the bikes

boggling over - you can find a picture http://www.ortleib.co.uk
  • Re Meths in France - it isn'y blue, (clear) and it smells different! We got some from a 'Bricolage' store - it's called something like 'Acool Brulee', and may also say '95 Denaturisee' - can't remember exact details, don't have the container any more.

I've tried the 'organic' fuel gels and if you sometimes thought meths was slow... I was really put off them.
  • In some places (Cyprus, Croatia and Gran Caneria) I have struggled to get meths. Nail polish remover works. You do look funny buying 10 bottles of it though.

non stick pans take the fun out of washing up. Having two pan handles is also helpfull for eating if there is two of you.
  • Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    The best thing about a Trangia is the gas burner. Turns a below average cooker into the best I've ever owned.

It's far easier to buy gas than meths, any screw on container fits. The heat is much more controllable and it's 10 times hotter on full heat than a meths burner ever will be.
  • Here's a pretty good list of where you can get methylated spirits in various countries:
    http://www.mark-ju.net/juliette/meths.htm

Can't say I've tested it's accuracy, but it looks useful.
  • Usually can't bring myself to read threads about trangias.

All these posts seem unusually positive and I don't trust it.

The trangia is the *only* thing I've seen reduce groups of grown men to psychotic depression... and sometimes tears

C'mon, re-live that feeling of the camping maestro stopping people from buying fast food, because we'll get back to the campsite for a few beans and a broken sausage...

AND DON'T PUT THE KNIFE ON THE GRASS!!!!
  • There's no camping maestro stopping you from buying fast food on the Dempster Highway:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Dawso ... 8&z=5&om=1

But, of course, there's no fast food on the Dempster Highway, so a few beans and a broken sausage are to be relished ;-)
  • convert it to gas. makes it much faster.
  • "Stuck on a Giant"]Re Meths in France - it isn'y blue, (clear) and it smells different! We got some from a 'Bricolage' store - it's called something like 'Acool Brulee',

Nearly, it's l'alcool à brûler and this summer we found it without trouble in bog-standard French provincial supermarkets.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    I think Lidl (or Aldi) are selling a cheap trangia rip off this week.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    hammerite wrote:
    I think Lidl (or Aldi) are selling a cheap trangia rip off this week.
    I got a Lidl one a few months back, £4.99 I think. Used it on tour this summer and it worked a treat - I can't see that it lacks anything the Trangia has, the quality is fine.
  • JHcp
    JHcp Posts: 144
    Brock_71 wrote:
    The other half is still too scared to put the extinguishing/simmer ring thing onto the flame though, she invariably drops it next to the flame, then can't retrieve it for fear of being engulfed in flame. So there I am supervising the cooking while I should be whizzing down the road for a bottle of wine or two.

I used to use a Trangia a lfew years ago but now use a petrol stove, however if I recall this was my easy way to put the simmer ring on if it's not too windy.

Take the simmer ring and slide open the lid. Then use the gripper and grip the top wind shield and lift both it and the pan off the base. Holding the simmer ring by the lid you can easily place it on the burner then place the top wind shield back on the base.

The tupperware box is a good idea, not only to stop the meths from tainting the food but if meths leaks out into the alumium pans it will corrode them, causing minute holes. It happened to a set of my pans!

Apparently it only applies to meths bought in this country, I think it is something to do with an additive they put in to try and stop people drinking it! :mrgreen: