edited June 2007 in Campaign
http://www.cyclehero.com/

John

Thanks, John
Thanks, John

Comments

• Kevin Roch
    Kevin Roch Posts: 13
    Awful. Absolutely awful. Some babe actress cycling around in special cycling clothing and helmet. Why couldn't the lead be an ordinary person in ordinary clothes going to work?

Kevin R
    Kevin R
  • dbg
    dbg Posts: 846
    That was really really really bad, see the fat bloke on the little folder & the guy in the German helmet? hey, lets ridicule cyclists.[xx(][xx(]
  • Sheddy
    Sheddy Posts: 942
    To be screened in Cinemas from 30th June. Lobby your local Cinema for secure bike parking ?
    Too much of anything is too much for me
  • Simon L2
    Simon L2 Posts: 2,908
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Sheddy</i>

To be screened in Cinemas from 30th June. Lobby your local Cinema for secure bike parking ?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Good point. Happily the Brixton Ritzy has a rack at the front and the staff keep an eye on it. They don't object to saddles or front wheels being taken into the auditorium.

I've not heard much that's good about the commercial, which is a tad embarrassing, but I think you have to look at it as part of the 'going to the cinema' experience. There's a peculiar feel to cinema advertising that this ad might just plug in to....(he writeds hopefully)
  • Kevin Roch
    Kevin Roch Posts: 13
    "There's a peculiar feel to cinema advertising that this ad might just plug in to...."

You're right there Simon. Cinema ads keep the audience guessing as what they're all about. For the first half the audience will think it's for sanitary protection products for women. At the end they will be expecting to hear the message, "Now cycle on down to the Bengal Tandoori for that authentic Indian experience - only five minutes from this cinema".

Kevin R
    Kevin R
  • magnatom
    magnatom Posts: 492
    I have to say I think it's not too bad. I think it is the sort of advert that will get people talking to their friends/other half etc in the cinema. Sure, some of them will just slag it off (they probably wouldn't consider cycling anyway!), but I think it might just get some folk mentioning that they have considered cycling to work to their other half and the conversation would take off from there.

I think the most important thing about the advert, getting an idea across has succeeded.

My flame resistant jacket is in the wash so please be nice! [:D]
  • chuckles
    chuckles Posts: 44
    Hi,

That was a pretty cringe inducing stereo-typing experience that made me feel kind of embarrassed to call myself a cyclist.

Hopefully it will get a totally different response from those considering taking up cycling.

Chuckles.
    Chuckles
  • Archcp
    Archcp Posts: 8,987
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by magnatom</i>

I have to say I think it's not too bad. I think it is the sort of advert that will get people talking to their friends/other half etc in the cinema. Sure, some of them will just slag it off (they probably wouldn't consider cycling anyway!), but I think it might just get some folk mentioning that they have considered cycling to work to their other half and the conversation would take off from there.

I think the most important thing about the advert, getting an idea across has succeeded.

My flame resistant jacket is in the wash so please be nice! [:D]
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I agree with you! I think the trouble is, we are all cyclists already. That ad is supposed to speak to people who aren't. I think its a little bit funny, a little bit trendy, a little bit like a trailer for a particular type of film - a good mix.

What's the alternative? A fluffy hippy type (that one that was flagged up recently, with the cycles coming up off the cyclelanes - was it by TfL?)? An agressive urban courier type image? A beardy cycle tourist gazing at at a nice view? They'd all turn off a section of the audience. This one strikes a nice balance...

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me clean the car. If I had a car.
    If I had a baby elephant, it could help me clean the car. If I had a car.
  • magnatom
    magnatom Posts: 492
    Thanks Arch. Good to see I am not alone!

I don't quite understand the comments about the stereo-typing. There is a nice looking young lady [:D], a couple of kids, an older lady, a businessman, a BMX rider and yes a slightly crazy looking bloke. To be fair I think that represents quite a broad spectrum of people.

I wasn't represented by any of these though. Didn't see any very handsome, fit, muscular, sophisticated cyclists in the ad...... [8D][:D]