Forum home Road cycling forum Workshop

Slipping carbon post in steel frame

John77John77 Posts: 43
edited June 2007 in Workshop
http://www.cyclingplus.co.uk/forum/topi ... =slip,seat

I'm having a problem with a slipping carbon seatpost in a steel frame. I've tried the hairspray, but to no avail. I actually broke a bolt yesterday evening through overtightening. The thread above refers to Tacx carbon assembly stuff, but having looked into it, it looks like it's meant for carbon/carbon set-ups. If I use it on a steel frame, will it weld the seatpost to the frame?

Cheers,
John

Posts

  • Could try this Pace stuff. Even says on the ad it works on other materials

    http://shop.18bikes.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s41p209



    Mleh Mleh Mleh
  • [:)] Hi.
    When I queried what my LBS uses, the answer was simple - Grease!
    So, I marked the post for correct height, took it out an inch or so, smeared some grease on (Finish Line Premium but I don't think it matters much), then put it back and tightened it up. No movement yet [:)].
    There is some special compound available from TACX but my order for it never materialised so I have saved a few bob [;)]

    [:I] AHHH, just noticed it's in a steel frame, sorry. Worth a try though if you never thought to grease a carbon post in a steel frame.

    Edit adds AHHH bit [:I]
  • simon johnsonsimon johnson Posts: 1,064
    Hairspray. Cheap stuff - bristows.
    Where\'s me jumper?
  • EvilCatEvilCat Posts: 27
    According to the sales material, the Tacx Dynamic Assembly Compound (the Pace stuff looks like the same tub) is for use on carbon, steel and aluminium. I've only used it on carbin/carbon -- it worked a treat sorting out a slipping seatpost without needing to overtighten the bolt.

    EC
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jay cee</i>

    never grease a carbon post.

    www.vcstraphael.com
    www.cyclingplus.co.uk
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

    unless it slips...[:D]
  • alan_shermanalan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    I see you have tried the usual remedy - hairspray. If that doens't work it makes me wonder if the post / seat tube inside diameter is a poor fit. Is the seatpost loos in the the seat tube?

    Cyclist, public transport passenger, pedestrian, driver, motorcyclist.
    I get on OK with myself, so why can't we all get on with each other?
  • yenrodcpyenrodcp Posts: 9,991
    I wouldn't even think about a carbon post waste of time, money, effort the lot. Had one once after buying from a mate.

    It just wouldn't tighten up !

    Its all about size and care.

    If you want to be really sensible get a lite alu' type s.post instead [:p]

    [;)] 'tuono nel mio cuore...[:)]
    [;)] \'tuono nel mio cuore...[:)]
  • System_1System_1 Posts: 513
    Am I missing something? How does putting grease (ie really slippery stuff) on something that slips, stop it from slipping?
  • jay ceecpjay ceecp Posts: 458
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by [email protected]</i>

    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jay cee</i>

    never grease a carbon post.

    www.vcstraphael.com
    www.cyclingplus.co.uk
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

    unless it slips...[:D]
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

    [V][V][V][V][V]

    www.vcstraphael.com
    www.cyclingplus.co.uk
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by System</i>

    Am I missing something? How does putting grease (ie really slippery stuff) on something that slips, stop it from slipping?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

    [:)] I suppose viewed from that angle it does seem strange. It took a lot of people a long time to agree that tyres with no tread have better grip (more rubber on the road). Maybe we must stop thinking it has to be glue to do the job. Perhaps the grease (and/or compound) merely fills all the tiny inaccuracies in both surfaces and provides two flat mating surfaces better suited to being clamped together.
    At risk of my post exploding and disappearing at midnight the day before the warranty expires, I accepted my LBS (LOOK and BIANCHI Carbon specialists) advice and used grease. It works for me [;)]
  • right, here we go! Thanks for the headsup steve, much appreciated!

    The Pace RC005 will work on any combo of materials for post/frame. The main idea of it being named "Carbon Composite Shield" is that the compound is tested to not delaminate carbon fibre posts- which is what usually causes a carbon post to stick in a carbon frame. It will also work similarly for a carbon post ina none carbon frame.

    The other useful feature is the tiny polymer beads, which, I quote-

    'A small tub of blue goo to you, but a life changing synthetic suspension of friction increasing polymer globes as far as your sinking seatpost is concerned. A thin smear is enough to reduce clamping torque on carbon or alloy seatposts by up to 30%, minimising the risk of crush or cracking damage and keeping your seat height right for ride after ride'.

    That make sense? Standard grease is not recommended for use on carbon fibre components. I highly disagree with that shop!

    the bike shop in Hope, the Peak District!
    the bike shop in Hope, the Peak District!
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by eighteenbikes</i>

    right, here we go! Thanks for the headsup steve, much appreciated!

    The Pace RC005 will work on any combo of materials for post/frame. The main idea of it being named "Carbon Composite Shield" is that the compound is tested to not delaminate carbon fibre posts- which is what usually causes a carbon post to stick in a carbon frame. It will also work similarly for a carbon post ina none carbon frame.

    The other useful feature is the tiny polymer beads, which, I quote-

    'A small tub of blue goo to you, but a life changing synthetic suspension of friction increasing polymer globes as far as your sinking seatpost is concerned. A thin smear is enough to reduce clamping torque on carbon or alloy seatposts by up to 30%, minimising the risk of crush or cracking damage and keeping your seat height right for ride after ride'.

    That make sense? Standard grease is not recommended for use on carbon fibre components. I highly disagree with that shop!

    the bike shop in Hope, the Peak District!
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    All sales blurb makes sense doesn't it [:)], and you are free to disagree with whatever you like but don't choke on yer polymers and molecular structures, stay cool man [8D]. It's obvious a lot of subscribers know of "the real thing" but prefer to use their own methods for whatever reason. Those methods are presented here for anyone to agree/disagree with - and you are free to try them or not. If the grease doesn't work - wipe the bl##dy stuff off and go back to slipping until your tub of "The Real Thing" arrives.
    The final word:
    To stop your carbon seatpost from slipping into the frame under load - use Pace Compound or TACX Compound or Hairspray or Grease or some self tapping screws or stay on the pegs or just don't buy one and save the hassle.
    (I'm beginning to think I came in here for an argument - You did - No I didn't - You did - I did not - Look, if you didn't want an argument what did you come in here for [xx(])
  • woody-somwoody-som Posts: 1,001
    my carbon post (from xpedia) came with a clamp that fitted around the actual post, and acts as a stop.

    Anyone know if there are 27.2mm dia clamps available, this would solve everyones problem.
  • ?? didnt intend to come across as arguing! apologies if i did.

    Si

    the bike shop in Hope, the Peak District!
    the bike shop in Hope, the Peak District!
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by eighteenbikes</i>

    ?? didnt intend to come across as arguing! apologies if i did.

    Si

    the bike shop in Hope, the Peak District!
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

    [:)] No problem eighteen bikes.
    Have you really got eighteen bikes? Knew a bloke called two sheds once [8D]

    PS: Wonder what John77 used in the end?

    Edit: adds PS.
Sign In or Register to comment.