Road wheel choice

StevieGcp
StevieGcp Posts: 25
edited June 2007 in Workshop
I'm after a new set of wheels with a budget under 150GBP. Two sets have caught my eye

- the fulcrum evolution 5, and
- Mavic Askium

If you've used these could you let me know how they are?

Thanks, Steve

Comments

• JonBurns
    JonBurns Posts: 212
    Good question I have also been looking at wheels in the œ150 price bracket and really like the look of the Fulcrums 5evo's.

Sorry to jump your thread a little but how do a pair Aksiums or Fulcrum 5s compare to the Reynolds Alta Race which have a rrp of œ400 yet can be bought at œ150? (I know there have been a few posts about problems with the Alta's so no need to replicate on here).
  • Ale
    Ale Posts: 180
    I have been very happy with my Aksiums. Over 8000km of riding them across London and they've held up very well (I'm not light, and the roads are full of holes).

They're not the lightest of wheels, but they've been are rock solid.
  • Racing 5 is the winner. standard Spokes not special like the Mavics Good enough for the entire QuickStep team o choose for preseason training wheels.

Find a bike shop with them in stock and talk to the staff.
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • StevieGcp
    StevieGcp Posts: 25
    Thanks for the advice. I think I'll go with the Fulcrums.

S
  • What about Xeros? Got exceelent write ups at 200 quid: now going on ebay at 150. When I was looking for light/vfm a couple of years ago all my "research" pointed to XCR 1s and I bought some. Almost as light as sets costing twice as much!

d.j.
    "Like a true nature's child,
    We were born,
    Born to drink mild"
  • jens
    jens Posts: 93
    I agree with Dave - the Xero wheels are very good for the money. (Wholesale they are very very cheap but still have a good ride and strength).

I did manage to crash at 25mph with my XR-1 front wheel last week and it had to be replaced - so they aren't necessarily the strongest. But I got a replacement for œ50 so I was happy (even though the factory sent an XCR-1 instead of the XR-1).

On the other hand, if this was for a bike to ride on pothole covered roads or in the winter I'd probably go for the Fulcrums.