Bus/Bike Incident Last Night

squiredcp
squiredcp Posts: 964
edited June 2007 in Commuting chat
Last night on my way home from the East Croydon station I saw the aftermath of a crash between a bike and a 166 bus. I only missed it by seconds, but it appeared that the bus had ridden into the back of the bike. The rear wheel was pretty badly mangled, but the cyclist seemed fine.

The cyclist was standing his ground infront of the bus. I'm assuming he was waiting for the police, or something like that. The bus driver was sat in his seat, doing nothing. What was interesting was the passenger leaning out of the door giving the cyclist abuse - telling him to move out of the way as people wanted to get home. It seemed to me to be a good example of the attitude people have towards cyclists. The guy has just been hit, and he is being told to move. Had that been a car that the bus had rammed I really can't believe the attitude would have been the same.

Comments

• magnatom
    magnatom Posts: 492
    Yes I've seen that sort of attitude before from bus passengers. They just seem to get annoyed at any delay. What I can't understand is why they don't get angry at the driver instead especially when the incident is often the bus drivers fault (although I can't claim this is the case here!)

Oh and I had an incident myself yesterday with a bus http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhyhsbphdoM

He tried to bully me off the road as he tried to pull into his bus stop. If I was a car, he would have slowed down and pulled in behind me. He claimed I was racing the bus. I wasn't I just don't hang about a junctions (especially this one). I must have impressed him with my turn of speed. [:0]

Interestingly this bus is from the same company that I have convinced to take part in the Give Cyclists Room campaign (about to kick off soon I am told!). A little e-mail is winging it's way to the director as I type....[:)]
  • magnatom
    magnatom Posts: 492
    Wow!! I just got a reply from the bus company(that was 2 hours after I sent the e-mail and just after I replied to squireds post!). All credit to them!!

<i>Dear xxxx

Re: Route 118 - Poor Driving

Thank you for your E mail of 01 June 2007 to our Mr. xxxxxx,
    concerning the above and thank you for taking the time and trouble to bring
    this matter to our attention. At the outset, I would also like to offer my
    apologies to you, that the incident occurred.

The sequence of events which you have reported is clearly of great
    importance to us, as it will have given an unsatisfactory image, not only
    of First Glasgow but of public transport as a whole. Please be assured that
    this Company does not condone such behaviour and will deal with it.

I have passed a copy of your e mail to Scotstoun Depot so that your
    complaint can be fully investigated. We will write to you when we have the
    result of the investigation.

Should you experience any further problems please do not hesitate to
    contact our customer service team on xxx xxxx.

Yours sincerely,

xxxxx
    Customer Service Manager</i>
  • overmars
    overmars Posts: 430
    Squired

That sort of attitude is not reserved just for cyclists. It's a 'people' thing.

I've seen a pedestrian almost being killed and the driver getting out of his car to see if they were all right. He was blocking the road and the woman behind began tooting her horn. He turned round and yelled "Can't you wait? I almost killed someone!" [:(!]

Nice one Magnatom!
    [8D][^][:)]

It is a general attitude towards cyclists unfortunately. I was coming down hill in the primary position on my side of the road this morning and 30-50 metres in the distance a bus had stopped at a bus stop on the other side of the road, blocking progress for traffic in his lane. Behind him was a rubbish truck who should have stopped behind the bus but, because it was a cyclist as opposing traffic, just pulled out forcing me to stop in the middle of the road so he could overtake. As he did so, I raise both my arms in the air as if to say 'wtf?'. He just laughed and carried on. Ingrained, especially amongst professional drivers in heavier larger vehicles.

They do own the road, apparently.

Baby elephants are so last year, darling.
    Baby elephants are so last year, darling.
  • I remember some lady collapsed on a train whilst it was on my station, and the only thing some of the other passengers were bothered about was getting her off the train so they could continue their journies.

http://lifeonthetube.blogspot.com/
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    I remember seeing a woman on the TV, she said she fainted on the tube and when she came around, she was lying on the floor surrounded by people, none of whom would even make eye contact with her, let alone help!!!

SNAPS
  • phil_ss1
    phil_ss1 Posts: 194
    But it's not always the hus drivers/HGV driver fault.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovx-EuCM ... ed&search=

T O $ $ e R ! ! !
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    I think bus passengers must be the most miserable lot. Have you ever looked at people in busses? They invariably look like they're stuck in prison. Like they'd rather be dead, or at least eating burgers.

Ok sure, massive generalisation, but every time I look into a bus I just see this wall of faces, resigned, miserable, beaten, afraid.

When my bike was nicked earlier this year I took the bus to work a few times. The misery was enveloping, so much so that I decided to rather just don my backpack and jog the distance instead.
  • miffedcp
    miffedcp Posts: 315
    magnatom- that was shocking, I totally agree with you trying to get a quick start on that junction, it is awful. I go via maryhill road so I avoid it.

And anyway even if you were racing the bus you were clearly winning, so he should have pulled behind.

Good thing first are having a campaign though, nice to see cyclists in glasgow getting more space.
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    nice of first glasgow to reply with so many kisses.

winter: http://tinyurl.com/2xkbbs
    summer: http://tinyurl.com/2hsagv
  • bustergut
    bustergut Posts: 1
    New to this forum.

Hello All.

I've been messengering in london for the past 3.5 years or so and in the past year have seen a rapid decline in the attitude and behaviour of bus drivers to cyclists.

Just last week I nearly got driven into the back of whilst the driver was accelerating to pull in to a stop?!?!??!

Getting off your bike and waiting for the police (ALWAYS call the police)in front of the bus is a good tactic, but as seen in an article in the evening standard last week, will surely serve to annoy and alienate you from other road users.

Also if you do get knocked off, I have found a very good thing is to over-ride the instinct to jump up and defeat embaressment etc and lie still on the ground for as long as you can bare.

You will get a lot more peds noticing and may well generate more witnesses coming forward as you have remained in their mind for a few mili-seconds more

have fun
  • The Bosscp
    The Bosscp Posts: 647
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Roastie</i>

I think bus passengers must be the most miserable lot. Have you ever looked at <b>people in busses</b>?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    No - I must admit it's quite a rare sight. I see lots of buses, but never with anybody on.
  • domd1979
    domd1979 Posts: 526
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by The Boss</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Roastie</i>

I think bus passengers must be the most miserable lot. Have you ever looked at <b>people in busses</b>?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    No - I must admit it's quite a rare sight. I see lots of buses, but never with anybody on.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yawn. Don't start that one again BonJ. Most buses are run for profit, you don't make money with empty buses.
  • true bustergut, why do we feel that we've got to jump up as though we've done something wrong and we've got to crawl out of the way. i got side swiped once on victoria embankment by an unmarked mini cab two years ago, driver was wearing blinkers and knocked me off and forced me to do a sort of side roll cos i thought the car behind was going to hit me too...it took a moped rider to chase after him and park his moped in front of his car to stop him at the lights...his excuse was the standard 'oh i did'nt see him'(please add apoo accent from the simpsons for full effect). vehicle drivers forget we cyclists are so vulnerable when it comes to being hit by their rolling weapon!

dangerous jules.
    all right ,lets not panic, i'll make the money by selling one of my livers. i can get by with just one right?
    dangerous jules.
  • hevipedal
    hevipedal Posts: 2,475
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
    <u>Had that been a car that the bus had rammed I really can't believe the attitude would have been the same.</u><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Unfortunately I can - people are very inconsiderate and selfish.
    Please someone post a story that restores my faith in humanity

<b><font color="red"> Hevipedal </font id="red"></b>
    Phrase of the week - <font color="red"><font size="3"><b> I've got a bike. You can ride it if you like.
    It's got a basket, a bell that rings and
    Things to make it look good.
    I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it.
    </font id="red"> </font id="size3"> </b>

51yrs old and Proud of it - Made it to 87kg 2 more to go for the target.
    Pedal to Paris Sept 2007
    Hevipedal
    It's not only people that are irrational; 1.4142135623730950488016887242096980785696718753769480731766797379907324784621
  • Here is one for you hevipedal - This morning I was savagely cut up by a woman driving a Chelsea Death Tractor, and in my emergency stop / swerve combo I almost caused a crash between myself and the motorbike who was following me waiting (surprisingly patiently) to overtake (I was in primary).

He comes alongside me as Mrs C Death Tractor roars off to get to the next queue and shouts "Sorry mate, didn't realise you could stop that fast." before zooming off himself.

When I rounded the corner he was sat in the queue giving Mrs C Death Tractor a right ticking off, gloved finger wagging and all. Made me smile.

Hopefully some faith is restored.

• Hackbike 6
    Hackbike 6 Posts: 3,116
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by thereisnospoon</i>

I remember some lady collapsed on a train whilst it was on my station, and the only thing some of the other passengers were bothered about was getting her off the train so they could continue their journies.

http://lifeonthetube.blogspot.com/
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I had a passenger have a fit on my train at New Malden and was astounded to learn that some passengers were more concerned about being late.[:o)]

<font color="green"><font size="1">Hackbike 8 Commuting Debut 09/09/2006</font id="green"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="blue">Dawes Audax 2006</font id="blue"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="green"> New 20/09/2006</font id="green"><font color="red"> </font id="red"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1"><font color="red"> Cycle Commuting since 1981 </font id="red"></font id="blue"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1">Cycling Proficiency Test 24 May 1977</font id="blue"><font color="red"><font size="1"> (30 years ago)</font id="size1"></font id="red"></font id="size1">

<font size="1"><font color="red"> Ride to work part 1 of 8 http://tinyurl.com/ypjapc</font id="size1"></font id="red">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 2 of 8 </font id="size1"></font id="red"><font size="1">http://tinyurl.com/2jfagu</font id="size1">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 3 of 8</font id="red"></font id="size1"><font size="1"> http://tinyurl.com/2jcldv </font id="size1">
  • Tynancp
    Tynancp Posts: 160
    that youtube of the bloke hitting the bus

ffs, that passing oncoming traffic on the wrong side is a new one for me, never mind entering a junction from an utterly novel angle

and why the feet done at the end? who tries to slow down like that, he must have very special shoes