Double or triple?

GaryGkn
GaryGkn Posts: 1,199
edited June 2007 in Workshop
I prefer the look of a double I have looked at a 53/39 but would a triple be better all round? It is going on a Mercian Strada Special.

Comments

• Compact. Talk to you dealer they will help advise.
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • GaryGkn
    Just seen this: Centaur 2007 Ultra-Torque CT Crankset - 34/50
  • What is your intended use Gary? I never really got on with a triple so went compact about 5 years ago on the bike I used for European jaunts in the mountains. I'm now at a point where I specify them on every bike as I find a 50/36 gives me the right spread of gears for almost all of my cycling needs.
  • GaryGkn
    I intend to use the bike in England. Leicestershire area and also Surrey. During the summer. If I got the chance I would like to join a club. I have a Galaxy which has been very good but the Mercian is lighter and would be faster.
  • I'd be tempted to go for the compact then I think. If you're not racing then a 50x12 gives you a big enough gear for speed and a 36x25 is low enough to get up most hills I know in Surrey.
  • GaryGkn
    Cheers andyp sounds good to me.
  • GaryGkn
    What cassette would work well witha compact?
  • msb123
    msb123 Posts: 274
    12-25, or 12-27 if you want more options on steep hills. i use both with 34/50
  • Langenberg
    Langenberg Posts: 453
    It really depends. If you are new to cycling, you might even find a compact a bit too difficult on a steep hill.

=====================
    Pas de progrŠs sans peigne.
    =====================
    Pas de progrŠs sans peigne.
  • GaryGkn
    Well in London and surrey I ride fixed (72") and I have been able to tackle Haverstock Hill on that bike starting from Chessington and ending at Belsize Village.
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    If you have to ask, go for a triple.

http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/index.asp

He who spins lasts longest
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace