One more question! Vango Micro 100

plusgourmande
plusgourmande Posts: 307
edited June 2007 in Tour & expedition
Hey all, i've been browsing the internet for sleeping arrangements on a tour. Come across this ultralight tent on a few websites, just wondering if anyones got any experience with it?

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/vango_tbs_micro_100_gg.html

thanks!

Comments

• rustynut
    rustynut Posts: 178
    I got the Vango Micro 100 a couple of years ago at Gaynor Sports, Ambleside for œ100 and am very pleased with it. Although it is a solo tent for one person, they is ample space for the gear. It is very easy to erect and adjust. The week when I was walking the Wainwrights Coast to Coast,(give up ha'way, bad knee) I had 2 nights of heavy rain with the last one gale force winds. Although the rain and wind did wake me up in the early hours, I slept fairly well. I thought it's a bit heavy for walking, but ideal for a cycling tour. You may have to be lucky to buy this tent now, as it is discontinued.
    There is one on Ebay, brand new.

Try http://www.calamander.co.uk/camping/tents/tbsmicro.htm
  • sjcpcp
    sjcpcp Posts: 604
    I've had a Micro 200 for 10 years and if the Micro 100 is the same design as my tent then I can recommend it.
    With practise it can be put up in less than 2 minutes, which is handy when its raining. The only downside is that it can be a bit fiddly to pack away because everything is attached together.
    It's also very strong, I've used mine in the Lakes in mid-winter storms and it survived OK.
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    I had a Micro 200. There wa s a redesign to lift up the corners of the flysheet as the inner would toch. I don't know if there was the same problem on the 100. Otherwise it is an excellent tent, albeit it not a lot of height to it.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    At almost 2kg that's a very heavy 'ultralight' 1-man tent.

More problems but still living.....
    More problems but still living....
  • rustynut
    rustynut Posts: 178
    Vango have a new range of tents for 2007. One I like is the Ultralite 100 @ 1kg, downfall is being a singleskinner. This is prone to condensation and no porch, would be a idea week-end tent.
    http://www.vango.co.uk/products/tentsin ... pename=256

I have the The North Face Solo 12 and the same spec as above, I'll be taking that to the York Cycle Show in June. I've just got a Jack Wolfskin Gossammer Bivi/Tent for œ80 and is good value for money.
  • Oldknees
    Oldknees Posts: 214
    I have used my Vango TSB for seven years now. It is a single person tent but does have a load of space for your bags in the outer tent. The outer skin does touch the inner in wet/windy weather. The tent is very nice to be in in high winds. It is very easy to put up/take down. I am 6'2" and 19 stone and I find it very comfortable to sleep in. There are lots of little bags for putting glasses, phone, etc in. There is a band that allows you to put up the inner by itself. In essence, if you are camping somewhere hot and dry you could end up with two tents for the price of a spare hoop. You can also put up the outer/take down the inner serately - useful in the rain. The weight isn't a problem on the bike, and is reflected in the price. 2kg is 2 bags of sugar. The tent design has gone past it's sell by date. I think there are some really slick designs out there these days. There are no windows for instance. But this tent has done me no wrong and I'll be hanging onto it for another two or three years yet. Hope this helps.

slow is good too
    slow is good too
  • Oldknees
    Oldknees Posts: 214
    BTW I think the prices being offered by these sites are a bit too high. Offer em less.

Paul

slow is good too
    slow is good too