Thames Path from Weybridge -> Surbiton

RufusA
RufusA Posts: 500
edited June 2007 in Commuting chat
For a number of reasons I'd like to start cycling a part of my commute in to work. Initially it will probably just be a couple of miles to Weybridge station until the nether-regions have formed the pre-requisite calluses. However with dryer weather approaching and the need to get fitter it would be good to extend this to at least ten miles.

Surbiton station seems an obvious point to head for, with frequent trains to London and covered bike parking facilities (allegedly). So how easy is it to cycle on the Thames Path from Weybridge to Surbiton station?

Is it the sort of "path" you can ride safely and fast on a road bike or tourer, or will I need to look at a beefy hybrid and spend the whole time dodging potholes, dogs (and their mess) and a scattering of broken bottles?

Is there a better alternative route to Surbiton suitable for a fast (here's hoping) ride. I live near Chertsey so going via Shepperton on the other side of the river is equally do-able.

Rufus.

Comments

• I think you would need to look at a hybrid. I go down there sometimes on my hybrid, it's quite a bumpy path. However I have no idea how much abuse a road bike can take, but I think it's a bit too much.

There are a few potholes, but no dog mess or broken bottles really. Overall quite a good towpath.

Do you currently have a bike to try it on?
  • Just thinking about it, it is too bumpy for commuting on a road bike. I would definately go for at least a hybrid.
  • RufusA
    RufusA Posts: 500
    Thanks for the reply!

I've got an old Peugeot Triathlon which has been neglected for a couple of years and is now beyond economic repair (don't lend your bike to anyone!).

So looking at getting a replacement bike, and sorting out a commuter route and it's a bit chicken and egg! I don't know what bike I should be looking at, as I don't know what surfaces I'll be riding on. Then again I don't know what are feasable commutes until I ride them on a bike....

Looks like Thames Path may be a non-starter if it's pretty bumpy as even if I get a bike up to the task, my laptop/bones probably wouldn't welcome it as a daily punishment.

Thanks - Rufus.
  • georgeecp
    georgeecp Posts: 20
    it's probably still smoother than the roads into the west end of London.