Russia->Mongolia->China....

Huffy2Russia
Huffy2Russia Posts: 6
edited June 2007 in Tour & expedition
Hey guys,

I posted up an idea of cycling around Russia a while ago and got a load of good practical advice a while ago. Unfortunately that thread is now dead and buried and in addition the trip is now a reality! We are due fly to Eastern Siberia on the 21/06 and have everything sorted (visas, jabs, camping stuff etc) except the bloody bikes!

So far i have a steel GT frame...and thats it! I would really appreciate some advice for parts from your experience, particularly tyres and wheels, chainrings and gear group set.

Thanks in advance, i will post up photos of our trip.

Huffy

Comments

• TorugartTim
    TorugartTim Posts: 105
    So, nothing trivial then. There's some stuff on my website that might help. http://www.adventure-cycling-guide.co.uk/bike2.htm
    PS Sounds like a cracking trip.

Tours in far away places
    Info:www.adventure-cycling-guide.co.uk
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Some of my views.....

For wheels you might want to consider some XT hubs and Sun Rhyno rims built with DT spokes (I use plain gauge, most people opt for double butted).

No suspension. Heavy and unnecessary.

Avid mechanical disc brakes if you've got disc mounts, otherwise some XT v-brakes.

Tubus Logo rear rack coupled with an Old Man Mountain Sherpa front rack.

Schwalbe Marathon XR 2.25" tyres (or if you'll be on asphalt mostly then the 2" would be better).

Traditional square taper BB and crankset with steel inner and middle rings.

SRAM cassette so you can replace individual sprockets as they wear instead of having to replace the whole cassette. If you've got more money than sense then a Marchisio cassette should last significantly longer.

On One Mary bars.

Shimano Dura Ace bar end shifters mounted on the thumbie adapters sold by SJS cycles.

And obviously a Brooks B17

More problems but still living.....
    More problems but still living....
  • Brilliant info guys, much thanks!!!![:D]

<u>Tim:</u> Your site is bloody marvellous, will be checking it regularly up to the day before we leave i expect.

<u>Amaferanga:</u> those On One Mary bars look pretty interesting, i take it you've used them on tours before?

The Schwalbe Marathon seem to be industry standards. I was wondering whether you had any preference for 26" or 700cc wheels on road/semi rough terrain?

huff
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I used the Mary bars for the first time on my last tour and they were great. Previously I used butterfly bars which are great on less demanding terrain, but for e.g. mountain descents they're crap. I actually had bar ends mounted inside the shifters on my Mary bars as I though I might want an extra hand position, but I didn't use them and have since removed them.

If you're starting from scratch 26" are the sensible choice IMO. No reason why you couldn't do this trip on 700c wheels, but all other things being equal 26" will be stronger and tyre availability is much better. Schwalbe don't make 2.25" Marathon XRs in 700c size.

More problems but still living.....
    More problems but still living....
  • Tall Jon
    Tall Jon Posts: 168
    If you are leaving on 21/6 then I'd get the bike pretty damn quick so that you can get used to riding it and sort out any fit issues or bedding in problems before you head off.
  • Brains
    Brains Posts: 1,732
    I'd strongly suggest you read this book. If nothing else it will give you ideas of what you might expect, and ensure you take enough spare inner tubes and tyres

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Off-Rails-Mosco ... 1840243988

As for the bikes - depends on budget, but if it's tight then I'd go for a Dawes Galaxy or Super Galaxy which the the benchmark you compare all touring bikes with. If you have the money look at a Thorn EXP. (maybe 2nd hand ?)
  • I've just got an Orange P7 frame. Hopefully the rest of the bike will be sorted (using all your help) by next wk. In North Wales at moment racking up the miles. Can't wait!!!!