Tyres for touring

joshw
joshw Posts: 55
edited June 2007 in Tour & expedition
Is it worth changing my old vittoria 23mm tyres for a bigger size like 28? I'm thinking they might be more comfortable and puncture resistant, no?

Josh.

Comments

• My advice if your touring use at least 28's and pref with a puncture resistant belt a good choice is the scwalbe marathons or even marathon plus. They are a pretty heaby tire but indestructable. I have commuted on these for over 5000km puncture free and i can tell you melbourne is not an east city on the tires.

www.cycleblog.info
  • wasi
    wasi Posts: 109
    I have toured on 23s, so it's possible if you are on reasonably good roads. They will require to be pumped up to higher pressure than wider tyres and that will make them less comfortable. The upside is that they are faster. As on tours speed is not of the highest importance, I have now switched to 32s for touring. Personally, I wouldn't go for something like Marathon pluses because they seem a little over the top for touring. An occasional puncture is no disaster and normal Marathons or other touring tyres are already sufficiently puncture resistant to make sure that there won't be many.
  • Ferrino
    Ferrino Posts: 83
    I recently had the same dilemma and decided to buy a pair of Bontrager Racelite Hardcases in 28 from AllTerrain for just œ20. Very glad I did this as they feel a lot nicer to ride on and they are supposed to be more puncture resistant, plus I met a few road surfaces where my 23s might have struggled. I am actually going to keep the 28s on for rides in the UK!