Big saddle bag - Carradice the only option?

Mombee
Mombee Posts: 170
edited June 2007 in Tour & expedition
Hi,

I'm taking my Cannondale R700 on a week long tour of the Pyrennees in July - it's a race bike really, but I reckon that I'll be OK with a saddle bag (plus a bar bag and credit card [:D] )...

Anyway... are there any saddle bag options other than one of the long-flap Carradice bags that are worth considering?

I've already swapped the saddle for a Brooks Swift (which has bag loops).

Any advice would be welcomed.

Cheers, Mombee.
http://www.mombee.com ... more than just bikes.
Cannondale CAADX Disc

Comments

• joshw
    joshw Posts: 55
    I'm also in the same situation. Those carradice bags look good but sure are pricey for what they are.
  • vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by joshw</i>

I'm also in the same situation. Those carradice bags look good but sure are pricey for what they are.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I think that they are excellent value for money and mine will probably outlast me.
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Seeing the twenty and thirty year old ones out on the road is a mark of the value.

However Brooksalso do saddlebags.

<b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    Frankly Caradice are pretty much the only option because there really is nothing better any-more.
    As pothers stated they work really well, are worth every penny, there are plenty of sizes, and they last almost forever.
    What more do you need to know?

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1

Fab's TCR1
  • cycladelic
    cycladelic Posts: 641
    If you think they are expensive, why not buy a second-hand one?
    You should get one for about 25 quid on ebay.
    It's an uphill climb to the bottom
  • joshw
    joshw Posts: 55
    Yeah I suppose they would turn out to be excellant value in the end.

(So sorry to hyjack but do you think a bar bag, Super C saddlebag, and a small Camelbak would be enough for 7 days touring?)
  • sjcpcp
    sjcpcp Posts: 604
    As the saddle bag is likely to outlast your bike I wouldn't say they're expensive. A Camper Longflap is œ50, which is less than a 10-speed cassette and chain, which are consumables, so 'expenive' is a subjective issue.

If you don't like the look of the Longflap the Super-C saddle bag is the same size, looks a bit more modern and has rucksack quick-release buckles rather than leather straps to close everything.
    I've used both types of saddlebag and personally I prefer the Super-C.
    N.B. Don't confuse the Super-C Saddlebag with the 8-litre Super-C seat pack, otherwise you will have to pack lightly!
  • sjcpcp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by joshw</i>

Yeah I suppose they would turn out to be excellant value in the end.

(So sorry to hyjack but do you think a bar bag, Super C saddlebag, and a small Camelbak would be enough for 7 days touring?)

I've done a 2 week tour with just a Super-C saddle bag, so what you're suggesting should be more than suitable. The secret to light-weight touring is to take clothing that can be worn on or off the bike, and for the clothes you're not wearing wash them overnight so they are clean for the next day.

I have toured with a Camelbak, but I wouldn't recommend it, your back gets very sweaty and it generally feels uncomfortable. If your bike has bottle-cage braze-ons I would recommend using them instead.
    Camelbaks can be a hassle to refill at cafe-stops compared to water bottles and you also have to try to clean and sterilse the water-pack whilst on the road otherwise the hose gets bacteria in it.
  • Ortlieb do a large saddle bag. Not as big as some of the Carradice ones but maybe worth a look.

http://www.facewest.co.uk/pp/ortleib/saddlebag.htm

<font size="1">Edit: link added</font id="size1">
  • sjcpcp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mombee</i>

I've already swapped the saddle for a Brooks Swift (which has bag loops).

I assume you can't fit a rack to the bike, in which case you will also need to purchase a method of supporting the saddlebag. As a fully loaded Camper Longflap will swing around, rub the back of your legs and rub the paintwork off the seat-stays.
    Carradice sell the SQR system and the Bagman for supporting the bag without a rack. There are pro's and con's to both systems, but I use the SQR system as everying except the seatpost block is removed from the bike, whereas the Bagman is 'permanently' attached. Also the Bagman requires quite a bit of saddle rail to clamp onto, which may mean changing your saddle position to fit it.
  • Philip Davis
    Philip Davis Posts: 965
    If you want to be different and go for a pimpy ti option, Moots do a saddlebag:

http://www.moots.com/ticomp-tailgator.php

I hate to advocate drugs, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.' Hunter S. Thompson

I hate to advocate drugs, violence or insanity to anyone, but they\'ve always worked for me.\' Hunter S. Thompson
  • sjcpcp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Philip Davis</i>

If you want to be different and go for a pimpy ti option, Moots do a saddlebag:

http://www.moots.com/ticomp-tailgator.php

I think most people would struggle to do a 7 day tour with a bag that can only carry 5 lb in weight!
  • Mombee
    Mombee Posts: 170
    Hi,
    thanks for all of the feedback... it's pretty much supporting the conclusions that I'd already come to and will probably go with the large Carradice option...

However... given that one concern is the fitting of the saddlebag, I wondered whether one of the Topeak beam-rack options might be an idea. There's an obvious weight penalty with the stem-mounted rack, and the load capacity would drop a tad. But the fitting might be more appropriate for the bike. Does anyone have any views on the Topeak system??

Cheers, Mombee.
    http://www.mombee.com ... more than just bikes.
    Cannondale CAADX Disc
  • sjcpcp
    I think a Beam-rack gives you the worst of both worlds. It's heavier and similary priced to the equivalent Carradice system. If you are willing to drop your load capacity to that of a beam-rack then you can use a smaller (and cheaper) Carradice bag. Carradice also do a 8-litre seat pack that doesn't need any support if you where going to travel really light.

I did tour with someone using one of these racks, but they only used it once. No matter how tight we clamped the rack it would still swing around on fast corners and needed constant adjustment. They were using the version with the side-bars to support panniers and the side-bars where sometimes brushing the back wheel as it swayed, which is very dangerous.
    For the cost I see no advangtage over the equivalent Carradice system, other than it looks more modern.
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    If it'll fit, I'd go with the SQR system as well. I use it on my TCR and a very large saddle-bag and it works a treat.

Fab's TCR1

Fab's TCR1
  • I use the topeak beam rack (qr rx) I think it is plus one of there dedicated pannier/bags. The rack weighs in about 350g and the whole thing clocks in probably 1lb more than a carradice, but I find its more stable on the bike and easier to get on/off. The panier just slides on off the rack. also no need for a bar bag. I've always found bar bags unsettle the bike on descents.
  • I use the topeak beam rack (qr rx) I think it is plus one of there dedicated pannier/bags. The rack weighs in about 350g and the whole thing clocks in probably 1lb more than a carradice, but I find its more stable on the bike and easier to get on/off. The panier just slides on off the rack. also no need for a bar bag. I've always found bar bags unsettle the bike on descents.
  • sjcpcp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by fidgetyphil</i>

I use the topeak beam rack (qr rx) I think it is plus one of there dedicated pannier/bags. The rack weighs in about 350g and the whole thing clocks in probably 1lb more than a carradice, but I find its more stable on the bike and easier to get on/off. The panier just slides on off the rack. also no need for a bar bag. I've always found bar bags unsettle the bike on descents.

With an SQR mount it takes approx. 2 second to remove a saddle bag, so there are no major speed advantages.
    Also bikes are desingned to carry the heaviest load, i.e. the rider, on the saddle. So the nearer to the saddle that you can put the load the less effect it has on handling. A beam rack puts the load high and quite far back.
  • freddered
    freddered Posts: 391
    SQR and Carradice Saddlebag is a superb combination.

I don't really understand why people think they are expensive though.

The Camper Longflap is about œ50 and will outlive a bike and/or person. It's handmade out of quality materials.

Why is œ50 expensive for that but not expensive for a pair of shoes or a Jacket?