Olive Oil

Oldknees
Oldknees Posts: 214
edited June 2007 in Tour & expedition
No not Popeye. I was wondering about taking olive oil instead of chain oil on my next tour. Then I could also use it for cooking, salad dressing and for medicinal reasons. I wonder if anybody has any thoughts on this. He waits for the flood of dry comments.

Thanks

slow is good too
slow is good too

Comments

• Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    It might work in the short-term, but will quickly oxidise and degrade with all that oxygen warmth and metal about, thus it will loose its lubricating power. Furthermore some of the degradation products might be a bit gummy and you would not want this in the chain links. Probably best avoided.
    I carry a small Vasaline pot on long trips and have used this in the past for chain and bearing lube and it seems to work fine!

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1

Fab's TCR1
  • Oldknees
    Thanks,

Make sense. Looks like I'll just have to cook with chain lube then [:D]. Paul

slow is good too
    slow is good too
  • Fab Foodie
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Oldknees</i>

Thanks,

Make sense. Looks like I'll just have to cook with chain lube then [:D]. Paul

slow is good too
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Yep, it's the one true way[:D]

Fab's TCR1

Fab's TCR1
  • daviddd
    daviddd Posts: 637
    It's sacrelidge to use olive oil on the chain - wonderful stuff for hungry cyclists. My particular favourite is bread fried in OO.

Alpine Tour July 2006:
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=l ... =1914&v=9d
    Forthcoming lap of Australia:http://www.davidddinoz.blogspot.com/
    Oct 2007 to Sep 2008 - anticlockwise lap of Australia... http://www.davidddinoz.blogspot.com/
    French Alps Tour 2006: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=r ... =1914&v=5R
    3 month tour of NZ 2015... http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/nz2014
  • djmc
    djmc Posts: 38
    A small pot of vaseline would also be good for chamois cream. I have used it both for my bum and also for lubricating jockey wheels when the grease had been washed by floods. Chamois cream bought specifically often has vaseline in it anyway, and vaseline is unlikely any allergic reaction which other ingredients may. This would be a better dual purpose fix.
  • Fab Foodie
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by djmc</i>

A small pot of vaseline would also be good for chamois cream. I have used it both for my bum and also for lubricating jockey wheels when the grease had been washed by floods. Chamois cream bought specifically often has vaseline in it anyway, and vaseline is unlikely any allergic reaction which other ingredients may. This would be a better dual purpose fix.
    Yeah, absolutely, sores, lip-balm, a myriad useful applications for man and bike!

Fab's TCR1

Fab's TCR1
  • Brock_71
    Brock_71 Posts: 775
    Wouldn't fancy frying my morning bacon in Vaseline though.

I took a can of Fry Light on a recent short tour, possibly better than lugging a bottle of olive oil around, although admittedly less tasty and no good for salad dressings.
    What medicinal uses do you put your olive oil to Oldknees? Or shouldn't we ask?

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1">A bicycle is for life, not just for Christmas.</font id="size1">
    <hr noshade size="1"><font size="1">A bicycle is for life, not just for Christmas.</font id="size1">
  • Oldknees
    I think its good for burns and sores, chapped hands and slicking down the hair in a way that makes one irristable to girls.

slow is good too
    slow is good too
  • Brock_71
    Brock_71 Posts: 775
    haha!
    A lidl dab'll do ya?

• vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Oldknees</i>

No not Popeye. I was wondering about taking olive oil instead of chain oil on my next tour. Then I could also use it for cooking, salad dressing and for medicinal reasons. I wonder if anybody has any thoughts on this. He waits for the flood of dry comments.

Thanks

slow is good too

Use castor oil. It'll keep you regular and has proven lubrication qualities though it does get a tad sticky.
  • Asterixcp
    Asterixcp Posts: 6,251
    Hmmm.. Maybe I'll take chain oil. It seemed to work last time.[;)] I'm leaving out the folding chair, however..

Pour vivre heureux, vivons le v‚lo..
    Pour vivre heureux, vivons le v‚lo..