brake blocks

The Bosscp
The Bosscp Posts: 647
edited May 2007 in Workshop
How far do they have to have worn before they are deemed to need replacing?
I've had my road bike for about 3 - 4 months and it's probably done about 40 - 50 miles a week on average in that time, so I'm guessing about 500 miles in total.
The blocks are worn to the point where the sticky-out bits are worn completely down at the bottom, but not at the top. They still work fine. I am loathed to replace them if there's no tangible reason to, but would like to know if worn brake blocks are worse for the rim than new ones so if I should replace them for this reason.

How many miles do other people's brake blocks last?

Comments

• giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    They don't sound to me although brake blocks can vary so much, what with the different types available. If they still feel and work fine, they've probably a lot of miles left in them.

SIZE IS EVERYTHING! or at least that's what my LBS tells me.
  • Cyclistm
    Cyclistm Posts: 758
    It's not the miles but the terrain and weather that make the difference.
  • monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    There is usually a 'wear line' on each pad - if they're worn past the grooves, then they should be replaced. Worth investing a cartridge shoes which have metal holders and replaceable pad - much cheaper in the long run and easier to change. As said, road conditions and style of riding make a big difference to how long your pads last - I've had some last 5 years and some a few months.