Cycling Fort William -Glasgow A82

mattybeck
mattybeck Posts: 135
edited December 1969 in Tour & expedition
Hi,
In prep for the Marmotte i'm contemplating cycling Fort William -Glasgow. Have only driven this road. Is it too dangerous for cyclists what with the lorries and coaches that drive along it?

Comments

• jumbolugs
    jumbolugs Posts: 181
    Personally I've never cycled that road apart from the Loch Lomond section but I think most of it will be quite unpleasant. As prep for the Marmotte wouldn't you be better doing a hilly audax - e.g. the Johnstone Wheelers event on 24th June:
    http://www.johnstone-wheelers.co.uk/php ... php?t=2856
    ...200km including the Dukes Pass and lots of other hills, almost all of it on very quiet roads
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    I would, likewise, suggest a hilly audax rather than cycling from Fort William to Glasgow.

I am riding the Snow Roads 300k (Cairn O'Mount, Cabrach, The Lecht, Cairnwell) as a perm on 23rd June, the day before the Johnstone Wheelers 200k. You could fit both in if you want [;)][:D]
  • bikepacker
    bikepacker Posts: 898
    Rode most of it last year and did not have a problem. Yes there is traffic but I never felt threatened by it.

I'm pedaling around the world looking for the sunshine that always seems to come my way.
    www.bikepacker.co.uk

I\'m pedaling around the world looking for the sunshine that always seems to come my way.
    www.bikepacker.co.uk
  • crackle
    crackle Posts: 216
    When is the question? It's starting to get busier now, particularly the Fort William - Glencoe section.

I think it would be OK provided you're not phased by both large vehicles and fast vehicles, particularly Rannoch Moor and the bottom of Loch Lomond.

It wouldn't be a route of choice for me, more necessity and I would avoid it like the plague in August, though nothing is moving particularly fast just then!!

Errrrrrmmmmmm..........
  • mattybeck
    mattybeck Posts: 135
    Thanks for the advice guys. Choice of route is really just to get a long, head down, 110 miles in. Having had a think, Arran is probably a more sensible option - A full lap followed by Brodick-Blackwaterfoot-Brodick. Up from London for the weekend so hoping for half decent weather
    300K audax - An option. Maybe.[:)][:p][:I]
  • cycologist
    cycologist Posts: 721
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">particularly Rannoch Moor and the bottom of Loch Lomond.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Isn't it a bit wet riding at the bottom of a loch ?

Two wheels good,four wheels bad
  • I have driven this loads and cycle bits of it.

It is a trunk road and takes lots of big lorries. Motorbikes go very fast across Rannoch and are terrifying even in a car.

It is very horrible at the top end of Loch Lomond for 10 miles, narrow and twisty with a rotting road surface following wet winter.

The ten miles south of Fort William are very dangerous because car drivers get frustrated and overtake at stupid places.

If you want a long ride then there are much quieter roads around. Not recommended.

Regards

Alan
  • crackle
    crackle Posts: 216
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by cycologist</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">particularly Rannoch Moor and the bottom of Loch Lomond.

Isn't it a bit wet riding at the bottom of a loch ?

I assumed if he was coming to Scotland he had flippers and aqua-lung [:D][:o)]

Errrrrrmmmmmm..........
  • alpinist
    alpinist Posts: 17
    Drove this yesterday and had great sympathy for the cyclotourist in the rain on it. It is a fast road with plenty of accidents so not ideal. Arran would be nicer, the road in the centre is quite hilly...
  • vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by alpinist</i>

Drove this yesterday and had great sympathy for the cyclotourist in the rain on it. It is a fast road with plenty of accidents so not ideal. Arran would be nicer, the road in the centre is quite hilly...

I've used the A82 in both directions and never found either ride to be a problem or a threat to my sense of well being.
  • thomasb
    thomasb Posts: 631
    I rode the A82 a few years back. The Locjh Lomond was OK, but it was evening. The bit between Loch Lomond and Crianlarich, as VST says, was not nice.

On a similar theme, as I'm off to Scotland in July, how is the A815 from Dunoon to Inverary?
  • chasctc
    chasctc Posts: 52
    A815/A83 is much quieter than A82. No really narrow sections; only climb is between St Catherines and A83. Naturally A83 has the traffic. After Inveraray A819 goes on forever (if you're going that way).

"Tea" stops at Whistlefield Inn, Strachur (just offroute L)/Creggans Inn and Loch Fyne Oyster Bar (Clachan). Try to buy Clyde ferry tickets from "bucket shops" ie local newsagents/convenience stores before embarking - you'll save nearly 50%
  • How about through the Trossaachs up to Callander I love that ride. loads of hills and scenery to take your mind off the pain.

I think its Tabert where you turn for Loch Lomond, I got knocked off there last year, at road works just after the turn

george

2 Bikes
    http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/imjibi/Bikes