Glasses Advice/Help needed.

fosmaal
fosmaal Posts: 44
edited May 2007 in Workshop
As a person who wears glasses, I have the constant problem of them misting up or getting covered in rain when im out on the bike, apart from contact lenses, does anybody have any ideas/solutions to this probelem? As having to look over you glasses to see where you are going defeats the object of them.[8D]

Comments

• I have the same problem.

I found that contact lenses get dry on the bike and irritate - as possibly you have.

A visor on my cycling helmet has proved invaluable in keeping the rain off my specs.

MT
  • yakk
    yakk Posts: 589
    Hi there. Motorbike places do stuff (called goop, and something by Bob Heath) for stopping visors misting up, and the rain doesn't collect on them[8D], so that you can see. Great if you ride in the dark as it cuts down glare. They work reasonably well, but have to be reapplied every now and then.
    Good luck.
    Yak
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    I had laser eye surgery and it was one of the best decisions I have have taken. Its a bit drastic for this particular problem but in terms of overall quality of life its great as most every sport you do is going to be easier if you dont need specs/contacts.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • steviesch
    steviesch Posts: 83
    cotton cycling cap...must be a cycling cap...baseball caps are way too chavvy...someone might think you have just stolen your bike...
  • meenaghman
    meenaghman Posts: 345
    Cotton cycling hat with peak.. keeps most of the rain off the specs. I wear adidas evil eye pros with rx insert. They have sweatband and dont mist up. I have a rather large scar on nose from where I came off wearing wireframe specs.. not recommended.. although the nurses were very nice.
  • Down the Road
    Down the Road Posts: 949
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by fosmaal</i>

As a person who wears glasses, I have the constant problem of them misting up or getting covered in rain when im out on the bike, apart from contact lenses, does anybody have any ideas/solutions to this probelem? As having to look over you glasses to see where you are going defeats the object of them.[8D]
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Spiuk Zioneer Sunglasses They have an insert for normal vision lenses.
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • Eurostar
    Eurostar Posts: 1,806
    When I was motorcycling I used to use 2 products - Rain-X on the outside of the lenses to get the rain drops to run off and Rain-X Anti-Fog to stop the inside misting up. Both have good reviews at Auto Express:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/p ... lents.html

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/p ... mists.html
    <hr>
    <h6>What\'s the point of going out? We\'re just going to end up back here anyway</h6>
  • fosmaal
    fosmaal Posts: 44
    Thanks for the advice.

The idea of anti mist, and rain repellent looks good. Think i will look into that. Though I do like the look of the optical inserts in those Addidas sunglasses, very good idea.
  • dakidcp
    dakidcp Posts: 744
    I wear glasses, and have the Adidas Eyewear Evil Eye Pro S Sunglasses, although I in fact use them without the optical insert and with contact lenses that I started wearing specifically for cycling.

For what it's worth, the glasses are really cool, and I'm sure I can see myself getting the inserts one day, but I'd also really recommend contact lenses, especially as that means you're able to take the sunglasses off while you're climbing so that they don't mist up when there's no breeze going over them [:)]

<hr noshade size="1">"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
    <i>Mark Twain</i>
    <hr noshade size="1">"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
    <i>Mark Twain</i>
  • I've got the adidas evil eyes, and have problems with the inserts steaming up, especially when it's cold. I got an anti-fog coating put on, but it doesn't seem to help.
    It's OK when you're cycling along on the road, but if you're going very slowly, say on a mountain bike climb, or stop, they mist up quite a bit.