C2C Barrow / Sunderland

richard thoday
richard thoday Posts: 544
edited May 2007 in Tour & expedition
Anyone got any advice on getting from one end to the other by public transport with bikes? Is it easy - dificult - impossible?

Comments

• rustynut
    rustynut Posts: 178
    I think it's first come, first served based on two bikes on Northern Trains and book your bike on Transpennine Trains. I think the former is one you will need. Can't see a problem going on off-peak in these parts. Try a look on this link: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/passenger ... clists.htm
  • AntonyJ
    AntonyJ Posts: 24
    After completing the C2C two weeks ago my friend and I trained from Sunderland to Whitehaven, and found it no problem.

Initially we had planned to return Monday morning, but after speaking to Northern Rail - who told me the 2 bike rule, and also the no bikes between peak hours rule - we chose to return late Sunday afternoon.

We had no problem at all getting our two bikes on. In fact, two of the journeys had four bikes in total and the guard was not bothered. Worse than having to navigate other bikes, was having to fit our bikes around people's luggage. Lazy buggers leaving their small suitcases in the bike area, rather than the overhead tray.

Good luck with your ride!