Life saving tips.

BShane
BShane Posts: 56
edited June 2007 in Tour & expedition
I just got a good tip from TurogarTim off the "Boring question about Ortliebs" thread and wondered if anyone else had any good life saving tips/anecdotes to share?

Comments

• Eurostar
    Eurostar Posts: 1,806
    If you borrow or test ride a bike abroad sometimes they connect the brakes differently to us. So you think you're putting on the front and all you do is lock the back. I did this in the US on a corner, fell off and fractured my skull.
    <hr>
    <h6>What\'s the point of going out? We\'re just going to end up back here anyway</h6>
  • MabBee
    MabBee Posts: 40
    polar bear livers are toxic
  • a dolphins not a fish!

dangerous jules.
    you just have to accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue!
    dangerous jules.
  • Whitehall
    Whitehall Posts: 6
    When riding long distances, do not stop at a pub for a pint or two!

Peter J
    For every uphill there must be a downhill?
  • Ashley_R
    Ashley_R Posts: 408
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Whitehall</i>

Peter J
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Why do I always forget this one?!?! [:o)]

You can lead an elephant to water but a pencil must be lead
    You can lead an elephant to water but a pencil must be lead
  • Gadge
    Gadge Posts: 135
    Don't eat the leaves on Rhubarb

[xx(]

Say NO to crack.
    Pull your jeans up!!
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Whitehall</i>

Peter J
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Why not?

--
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/justinandagata
  • grazer
    grazer Posts: 131
    dont eat yellow snow
  • BShane
    OK, I walked into that one.[:I]
  • Brains
    Brains Posts: 1,732
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Eurostar</i>

If you borrow or test ride a bike abroad sometimes they connect the brakes differently to us. So you think you're putting on the front and all you do is lock the back. I did this in the US on a corner, fell off and fractured my skull.

Not only do they set up their bikes back to front, the idiots often drive on the wrong side of the road as well !

Definatly one you have to watch out for, as can cause all sorts of problems on a long tour
  • BShane
    It's not gonna stop is it !
  • If you get bitten by a snake don't panic. Check how many puncture wounds you have. You will have two from the top jaw, but if you also have two underneath, making 4, then worry not. Venomous snakes leave only 2 puncture wounds. Unless the litte f<font face="Andale Mono">uc</font id="Andale Mono">ker bit you twice of course. The other obvious way of telling the difference is that after being bitten by a non-venomous snake, chances are you will have 16 stones of slowing contracting snake about your head, neck and torso[:p]

Oh, and after the bite, if venomous, try and get the snake, or just it's head if the whole thing is proving tricky, as the venom of one snake could well be the anti-dote for another, and you don't want to get the description wrong do you[xx(]

After all this, get to hospital quickly, really quickly, but don't rush now, all that venom will just get around your system faster[:0]

Snakes, you gotta luv the little critters.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26011722@N00/
  • ut_o_cykla
    ut_o_cykla Posts: 58
    A few plasters in your saddle bag can be good or at least a hankie or similar. I once road into some barbed wire (don't ask - its a long story...)and ripped my hand open. Although it wasn't very sore or bad it bled rather a lot all the way home. Hubby was horrified by my 'dried blood everywhere' look!But once cleaned up it wasn't much to get excited about.

pousse moi s'il vous plait
    pousse moi s\'il vous plait
  • very important...try not to take a cow upstairs because they will not be able get back down again, something to do with opposing joints. vital for modern living!

dangerous jules.
    if you really want something in this life you have to work for it, now quiet, they're about to announce the lottery numbers!
    dangerous jules.
  • thedoctor
    thedoctor Posts: 529
    How on earth did anyone find that out?
    Maybe I don't want to know...
    Don't put your handbag on the window sill of a revolving restaurant.

OK - I'll just have one more baby elephant...
  • rustychisel
    rustychisel Posts: 3,444
    & my favourite: beware of dropbears!!!!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I'm only escaping to here because the office is having a conniption
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I\'m only escaping to here because the office is having a conniption
  • i find peeing into the wind a definate no no, particularly when wearing suede shoes!

dangerous jules.
    if you really want something in this life you have to work for it, now quiet, they're about to announce the lottery numbers!
    dangerous jules.
  • Cathryn
    Cathryn Posts: 176
    If you get caught in an avalanche, once you stop moving, dribble. Then start digging in the opposite direction to the way your dribble goes, because that way is up!
  • cathryn...sound advice i feel!

dangerous jules.
    dangerous jules.
  • sloe
    sloe Posts: 17
    I think all my dribble would already have been spontaneously released.
  • yenrodcp
    yenrodcp Posts: 9,991
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cathryn</i>

If you get caught in an avalanche, once you stop moving, dribble. Then start digging in the opposite direction to the way your dribble goes, because that way is up!

Avalanches - that would be pretty bad - anyone know how to throw a boomerang ?

[;)] 'tuono nel mio cuore...[:)]
    [;)] \'tuono nel mio cuore...[:)]
  • longers75
    longers75 Posts: 214
    I used to be able to throw one but that was 20 years ago and the technologies all probably changed now.

<font size="1"> ~~~~~~~~~~~~</font id="size1">
    <font size="1"><i> i always wanted to cycle to work - now i want to live further away </i></font id="size1">
  • jimstercp
    jimstercp Posts: 236
    Don't worry, I'm sure it will come back to you.
  • philip99a
    philip99a Posts: 2,272
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by TheDoctor</i>

Don't put your handbag on the window sill of a revolving restaurant.

Are there any revolving restaurants left, or at least still revolving.

Post Office Tower London - closed
    St George's Tower Liverpool - closed

Guess there may be lots abroad, but in the UK?

Campag Super Nova; faster than a cannon ball
    Cycling - the most fun you can have sitting down.
  • daviddd
    daviddd Posts: 637
    Don't eat roadkill if it smells...

Alpine Tour July 2006:
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=l ... =1914&v=9d
    Forthcoming lap of Australia:http://www.davidddinoz.blogspot.com/
    Oct 2007 to Sep 2008 - anticlockwise lap of Australia... http://www.davidddinoz.blogspot.com/
    French Alps Tour 2006: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=r ... =1914&v=5R
    3 month tour of NZ 2015... http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/nz2014
  • pieinthesky
    pieinthesky Posts: 417
    Don't eat roadkill if it smells...

.... Or if its being loaded into an ambulance
  • Don't whiz on the electric fence
  • Gavin Gilbert
    Gavin Gilbert Posts: 4,019
    Always remove your penis* from you underpants <i>and</i> trousers before urinating

<font size="1">*obviously applies only to blokes</font id="size1">

<hr noshade size="1">I'll have an organic decaff skinny goats milk cappuccino with fairtrade chocolate in a recycled cup to go please
  • philip99a
    philip99a Posts: 2,272
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Gavin Gilbert</i>

Always remove your penis* from you underpants <i>and</i> trousers before urinating

<hr noshade size="1">I'll have an organic decaff skinny goats milk cappuccino with fairtrade chocolate in a recycled cup to go please

Lifesaving? Hum....

Cycling - the most fun you can have sitting down.
  • Gavin Gilbert
    Gavin Gilbert Posts: 4,019
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by philip99a</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Gavin Gilbert</i>

Lifesaving? Hum....

I <i>nearly</i> died of embarrassment [:I]