The thread thread

dave5ncp
dave5ncp Posts: 3,198
edited May 2007 in Workshop
Before I knacker a frame, can anyone confirm what thread a gear hanger/rear derailleur uses?

<font color="purple"> <font size="1"><i>please pretend there's a horizontal line here. I couldnt work out how to put one in.</i></font id="size1"></font id="purple">
You stir my natural emotions
<font color="purple"> <font size="1"><i>please pretend there\'s a horizontal line here. I couldnt work out how to put one in.</i></font id="size1"></font id="purple">

Comments

• dakidcp
    dakidcp Posts: 744
    If you mean left-hand or right-hand thread, then AFAIK only the pedals into the crank and the bottom bracket have any back-to-front threads anywhere. I'd get someone else to confirm though ... I'd hate for you to knacker a frame because I've given some dodgy advice!

With regards to knowing which is which, when dealing with these particular areas, an aide-memoire I find useful is the phrase "when approaching, back off". By which is meant "when you come to the bike, the first thing you'll have to deal with is taking the pedals off, and to do so you always turn the spanner towards the back to take them off" (assuming spanner above pedal, which I think most would do anyway!). Then it's just the opposite for the bottom bracket, i.e. front-off. Then you just have to reverse when putting them back on.

Hmmm, written down that actually seems more confusing not less. Anyway, it helps me and I think I should stop writing gibberish and go to bed ... never post on forums when too tired to write anything sensible [:D].

<hr noshade size="1">"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
    <i>Mark Twain</i>
    <i>Mark Twain</i>
  • pbiggs
    pbiggs Posts: 9,232
    I think Dave is asking what size it is.

10 x 1 mm according to www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=89

I vaguely remember something about an alternative size that's near enough to be compatible.

Use plenty of anti-seize or grease.

<i>~Pete</i>
    <i>~Pete</i>
  • dave5ncp
    dave5ncp Posts: 3,198
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by pbiggs</i>

I think Dave is asking what size it is.

10 x 1 mm according to www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=89

I vaguely remember something about an alternative size that's near enough to be compatible.

Use plenty of anti-seize or grease.

<i>~Pete</i>
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Indeed I was Pete. I knew you'd know. [:)]

I did indeed back off from a 1.25 pitch thread. Down to the drapers store for a tap tomorrow then.[;)]

<font color="purple"> <font size="1"><i>please pretend there's a horizontal line here. I couldnt work out how to put one in.</i></font id="size1"></font id="purple">
    <font color="purple"> <font size="1"><i>please pretend there\'s a horizontal line here. I couldnt work out how to put one in.</i></font id="size1"></font id="purple">
  • dakidcp
    dakidcp Posts: 744
    Hehe .... sorry. Ah well, maybe it'll help someone else [:D]

<i>Mark Twain</i>
    <i>Mark Twain</i>