Exustar SPD touring leather shoe

Miles by far
Miles by far Posts: 6
edited June 2007 in Tour & expedition
.....Has anyone seen/bought/tried a pair of these SPD soled leather touring shoes yet?
Apparently made in China but specifically for the UK market. CTC Cycle magazine (Feb 07) were enthusiastic but what do others think?
I have a well-worn pair of 'traditional' leather Reynolds cycling shoes so I can vouch for the advantages of leather.
Any sizing 'issues'?

Damn right I own the road..!
Damn right I own the road..!

Comments

• coinneach
    coinneach Posts: 79
    I'm thinking about them too: was advised that there are no sizing issues, which doesn't really help

"It is good to have an end to journey toward, but it is the journey that matters in the end."
    "It is good to have an end to journey toward, but it is the journey that matters in the end."
  • saw review on SJS Cycles website, pasted below, not overly complimentary:-

Does Stelvio mean soft?
    "I like the plain all black styling and the laces were a real throwback. Annoyed that Exustar spoil this plain look with their logo on the tongue and on tabs by the lace holes. I would have prefered a smoother less commando style sole pattern. The main problem I have found though is that the sole is not stiff enough-I can distinctly feel the shoeplate after about 20 miles. The sole is too insubstantial for touring any sort of distance. Probably OK as a review sample but expensive for a soft trainerish shoe that happens to take SPD clips. " - Mr Andrew Dade

Shame as otherwise I might have been really interested, but will keep my Reynolds for now!!
  • The review in CTC magazine was very complementary but I haven't tried them myself.
  • Kevin Roch
    Kevin Roch Posts: 13
    I've got a pair. They do the job in that I wanted SPDs that I could wear at work. I went over the white logo tab with a black permanent marker. I find that they are very narrow. They give little support to the heel, which slips up and down when I walk. It is a good job I am only walking around the office; I would not want to walk any distance in them. The leather appears to me to be very thin and insubstantial. I paid œ70 + œ5 p&p from SJS Cycles. Bikeplus now do them for œ63 inc delivery so I got a poor deal. But that is still pricey for what you get. On balance, I would not recommend them unless you really need smartish black SPD shoes.

Kevin R
    Kevin R
  • cycladelic
    cycladelic Posts: 641
    I've recently bought a second pair of Exustar touring shoes - not the black leather ones though - and have been very happy with them; they're robust and comfortable.
    It's an uphill climb to the bottom