Airplane Bags For Touring

DamonRead
DamonRead Posts: 93
edited May 2007 in Tour & expedition
I have a very good well padded bike bag which I used for a holiday last year.

However this year I am looking to fly into and out of different airports and the bag is far too big to carry on the tour.

What do people normally use? Can I get it posted to my other airport?

Comments

• redfox
    redfox Posts: 295
    I use one of these and carry it with me.

www.endtoend.info
  • i've heard great things about the tardis bag - it's only 1.45 kg and packs down to a4 size. http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/product-d ... AR-BAG.htm

i was going to order one but then read that it has to be shipped from nz
  • Philip Davis
    Philip Davis Posts: 965
    The Tardis Bag is good - I've used it for many flights (although not with a delicate road bike). It folds down small enough that you can carry it on a rack.

You can't post to an airport, but you can use Poste Restante to mail and pick up bags (and other things you don't need). If you are booked into hotels they will usually accept mail and hold it for you before you arrive.

I hate to advocate drugs, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.' Hunter S. Thompson

I hate to advocate drugs, violence or insanity to anyone, but they\'ve always worked for me.\' Hunter S. Thompson
  • gordycp
    gordycp Posts: 2,341
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Philip Davis</i>

You can't post to an airport, but you can use Poste Restante to mail and pick up bags (and other things you don't need). If you are booked into hotels they will usually accept mail and hold it for you before you arrive.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yep, Poste Restante has always worked for me. You need to plan round opening hours, but I've collected stuff from Post Offices all over the world. When flying with the bike, I buy a flat-pack box thing in the UK and carry it in the bike bag on the plane. I suppose it acts as extra padding. The bike bag folds up, the box folds out and the two get taped up and taken to the nearest Post Office.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I used the CTC big plastic bag recently. You can pick up some cardboard at the airport to add extra protection. Worked well for me.

The bag folds down small enough to fit in a pannier, but I wrapped mine around my tent and strapped it to the rear rack. It actually came in extremely useful as an extra ground sheet when I camped on stoney ground.

And it only costs a few quid.

More problems but still living.....
    More problems but still living....
  • rosser
    rosser Posts: 25
    I used the CTC bag - they are cheap enough to get two. One for the outward journey which I ditch on arrival - as it sometimes get torn and is hard to fold back to the original unused size. The second one packed for the return.

I am of the school that believes - if they can see it is a cycle they will be more carefull.