Shimano/Campag

David Smart
David Smart Posts: 7
edited June 2007 in Workshop
Intend to buy Bianchi Via Nirone 7 alu/carb for fitness only, LBS asked if I wanted Shimano or Campag components. Is there a worthwhile difference and what would be best ?

Comments

• lardarse rider
    lardarse rider Posts: 1,447
    Pick whichever you like the look and feel of. There is no right or wrong answer - It is a matter of personal choice. Although Campag is better[}:)][;)]

Please be upstanding for the Mayor of Simpleton

I\'m pushing the pedals on my season cycle
  • currieinahurry
    currieinahurry Posts: 2,695
    campag especially on a bianchi.
    tikka

hi my name is adam... and i have a problem with posting on cycling forums.
    hi my name is adam... and i have a problem with posting on cycling forums.
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Try the two different brands gear shifters. They work in different ways, so whichever you prefer is the one to go for.

I like shimano as I can change down gears whilst braking and I don't like the idea of reaching for the lever with my thumb when on the drops. Some people prefer the feel of the Campag hoods to Shimano as they are smaller.

If you have no ergonomic preference then it is down to style, and as Bianchi is an Italian bike it would be a good match.

Cyclist, public transport passenger, pedestrian, driver, motorcyclist.
    I get on OK with myself, so why can't we all get on with each other?
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    I have both on different bikes, I find shimano lighter to use and the freehub is quieter, but with my little hands I prefer the left hand gear change of the campag as I sometimes pull on the back brake when changing up to the big ring on shimano (105), have a ride on both and make YOUR own mind up. Purists will say an Italian bike should have campag, but you're the one who will be riding the bike. Another thing to consider is if you have a mishap and need a part to get you home, nearly every bike shop stock shimano parts , not all stock campag.
    As Alan says small handed people like myself also prefer the hoods on campag.
    You don't say which groupset is on offer, I didn't get on with Shimano Sora levers at all on one of my bikes and the brakes were rubbish.

http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/index.asp

He who spins lasts longest
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • many thanks for your help guys

cheers
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    Both Shimano and Campag work well but Campag users become almost religious in their devotion to their brand.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Of course we do, cos Campagnolo is better!!

SIZE IS EVERYTHING! or at least that's what my LBS tells me.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Campag on a Bianchi!

My Best Bike
  • monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    It's easy, if you plan or crashing then by all means, your LBS will happily sell you a pair of STIs for œ150 to replace the knackered ones, whereas it's a darn site harder to break Ergos if at all and if you do, you can buy spares parts - unlike Shimano.
  • xio
    xio Posts: 212
    well, the gear shifter broke off one of my ergos after about 14 months!
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Luckily you can replace it cheaply because it's campag!

Warning about well known bike shop removed at request of moderators.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • xio
    xio Posts: 212
    be nice if I knew that at the time. ;-)