My first 30+

Tony666
Tony666 Posts: 274
edited December 1969 in Road beginners
Yay I have just completed my first 30+ ride. I started out on what was a warmish sunny morning and the weather forecast said that there should be no more rain today.

I had planed the route and drilled it into myself to be sensible, pace myself and not worry about speed. Which I did manage to keep to. This was also the first outing for my road bike and wow, what a difference from the hybrid. Great fun going down a slight hill at 30mph! Waved and smiled at several other friendly cyclists on the way which is a bonus.

Living in Essex which, in my part of the world, is relatively flat is another big bonus, but cycling in a 20 mph wind wasn't so much fun at times, particularly when cycling alongside exposed fields. Oh and lesson number 1, never believe the weather forecast! About 4 miles from home and the heavens opened. By the time I got home I was soaked through and freezing cold. But feeling very satisfied. One hot shower and a cup of tea later and I am itching to get out and ride again! I think I will wait tomorrow though as the bum is a bit sore right now - and I am going to put my gel saddle on to the road bike!

I ended up doing 32.5 miles in 2 hours 27 minutes which works out to what is for me a respectable average speed of around 13mph

Comments

• Lefire
    Lefire Posts: 89
    Well done Tony.
    Whereabout in Essex were you ?
    I have the same problem with it always seems to be blowing a gale when out and about. I cycle around Colchester / Tiptree / Maldon area. Some nice roads in places but could do with some hills to practise on.

Keep riding and the miles will come
  • Tony666
    I'm down Southend way
  • ah if only essex were flat!! [;)][:D]

http://www.eppinghardcru.co.uk
  • dakidcp
    dakidcp Posts: 744
    Well done on the ride! I've only just started doing that sort of distance, and it's certainly a fine achievement ... non-cyclists are always amazed at that kind of distance, while experienced cyclists tend to be pretty encouraging as well, even if they did cycle double that distance at the weekend!

For what it's worth, I'd suggest not getting a comfy gel saddle on your bike, but instead to try and make sure you find one that's maybe quite thin, but that supports your sit bones properly, as it'll definitely be more comfortable over a longer ride once you're used to it [:)]

<hr noshade size="1">"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
    <i>Mark Twain</i>
    <hr noshade size="1">"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
    <i>Mark Twain</i>
  • cycledad
    cycledad Posts: 34
    Well done Tony!

Did you get to try any of the L-S route? I did think about you yesterday with the weather being so awful!
  • Tony666
    Thanks cycledad. I rode from Shoeburyness to Canewdon by a circuitous route having postponed the L-S route until the forecast looks good all day - might have a bit of wait there though! And dakid, the friendly encouragement from these forums is one of the things I like about it so much. The bike saddle I am using at the moment is a selle assano excalibur but that doesn't mean anything to me [:D] Hmm, maybe the subject of a new post
  • DLB
    DLB Posts: 631
    Well done Tony. Glad you like the new bike.

*** Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're probably right ***
    *** Whether you think you can or think you can\'t, you\'re probably right ***
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    Congrats!
    That's half a metric Century....YAY

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1
  • Well done! Completed my first 30+ not too long ago, keep going get the 50!

My roadie- http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id ... 513&size=o

my pics- http://www.flickr.com/photos/17009412@N00/?saved=1