Cycling close to parked cars

magnatom
magnatom Posts: 492
edited May 2007 in Commuting chat
Obviously it is dangerous to cycle close to parked cars. All it takes is a car door to swing open an the cyclists is in serious doo doo.

However, I give you another reason not to cycle close to parked cars, little girl avoidance!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZnsw3bIzu0

Close![:0]

Comments

• Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    Looks like you scared the living sh*t out of her!!![:D]

SNAPS
  • magnatom
    Probably! I looked back and she had decided not to cross the road after all. She might have decided to stay at home to avoid the strange looking borg man in the yellow jacket![:D]
  • WyS
    WyS Posts: 254
    that was 5 points. shame on you!
  • The Bosscp
    The Bosscp Posts: 647
    Did you stop and give her a good bo<i></i>llocking?
  • magnatom
    WyS,

I don't waste my time collecting small scores.....

The Boss,

Of course I did. She should be cycling to school, not walking...

[:D]
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...I just don't get this post. 1. You film your commute! Why?
    2. You nearly ran down a small girl. So? You say she should have been cycling not walking, not everybody has to ride a bike...no just don't get where you are coming from...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • ed_m
    ed_m Posts: 131
    good job you weren't a bus [V]

<center><font color="blue"><font size="1">____________________
    www.ultrarunner.co.uk
    </font id="size1"></font id="blue"></center>
    <center><font color="blue"><font size="1">____________________
    www.ultrarunner.co.uk
    </font id="size1"></font id="blue"></center>
  • magnatom
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ChrisLS</i>

...I just don't get this post. 1. You film your commute! Why?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

For interest, for safety, for evidence, to discourage drivers around me from misbehaving, to document the issues faced by cycle commuters etc. There have been a large number of threads on the subject. Have a look for them if you are interested.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
    2. You nearly ran down a small girl. So? You say she should have been cycling not walking, not everybody has to ride a bike...no just don't get where you are coming from...

Did the smiley not give away the fact that I was joking about the cycling? In fact I thought it was fairly obvious from my post that I was just reminding people not to cycle close to cars. This video illustrates one of the reasons why.

If I had been cycling close to the cars I might have hit her. Is it not worth reinforcing the message by posting the video as an example?
  • magnatom
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ed_m</i>

good job you weren't a bus [V]

Absolutely! I think this little girl will have learned from this. Maybe this is another way that cycling can save lives![:D]
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    I'd ignore ChrisLS, this is the second post he hasn't understood today. Rumour has it that he forgot to unclip over the weekend and hit his head![:D]

SNAPS
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Eat My Dust</i>

I'd ignore ChrisLS, this is the second post he hasn't understood today. Rumour has it that he forgot to unclip over the weekend and hit his head![:D]

SNAPS

...sorry chaps I be one them rural commuters...we don't understand what it's like in the big city...[:D][:D][:D]...unclip? I don't understand...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • A - W
    A - W Posts: 253
    You were both lucky! Glad no one was hurt.

Tip of the day, always look for feet or movement under cars.
    FCN 10
  • magnatom
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ChrisLS</i>

...sorry chaps I be one them rural commuters...we don't understand what it's like in the big city...[:D][:D][:D]

No problem Chris. You might be more used to sheep jumping out from hedges. The only difference would be you might have a softer landing on the sheep. Oh and the repercussions from hitting a small girl might be more significant....[:0]

A - W,

There was a lot of luck involved, although I would like to think my superior cycling skills played a part (and my not particularly impressive shout of wooow may have helped [:)])
  • A - W
    A - W Posts: 253
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by magnatom</i>
    <i>Originally posted by ChrisLS</i>

A - W,

There was a lot of luck involved, although I would like to think my superior cycling skills played a part (and my not particularly impressive shout of wooow may have helped [:)])

[:D] We dont always get it right, but we can try. [;)]
    FCN 10