Wonky cranks and loose bottom bracket

charliechalk
charliechalk Posts: 229
edited May 2007 in Workshop
Hi,

Could someone please help suggest what's gone wrong with my bicycle?

While out riding, the chain began to unship from the large chainring to the small and I noticed that the front derailleur was actually pushing the chain off the big ring. I thought this may be due to the cable slipping in the anchor bolt, or possible cable stretch, so I removed the front derailleur in order to get home.

However, a few miles later, the pedals suddenly came loose. The bottom bracket appears to have "come undone" on the right-hand side, leaving the cranks with loads of play. Obviously this had begun working itself loose earlier and the chainring was moving outwards, rather than the derailleur moving inwards.

Have I actually broken something which will require new parts, or is it simply a case of screwing something back on? Should this have happened at all? (it's a Felt F65 bought through Halfords' cycle to work scheme nine months ago, used for a daily 20 mile round-trip commute)

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Charlie

Comments

• msb123
    msb123 Posts: 274
    it shouldn't have happened in normal use. did the pedal actually unscrew?

are you sure that it is the bottom bracket and that you have not lost a crank bolt? check that the crank bolts are there and tight.

if they are, remove the crank (probably needs a crank puller) and check/tighten the bottom bracket. if something has gone wrong with the axle you will need a new one.

from the tone of your post i suspect that you won't have the tools to do this - and would suggest taking it to a shop - but if you do, apologies
  • Sounds like the right hand side Bottom bracket cup has come undone, which is a bit strange!

If you have no tools, take it to the shop, if you are lucky and there is no long lasting damage, its a five minute job to fix.

Alternatively look on www.parktool.com for a guide on how to fit bottom brackets and chainsets for an idea of how to fix it

Mleh Mleh Mleh
  • charliechalk
    charliechalk Posts: 229
    Thanks for the replies - unfortunately I don't have the tools, but am always keen to buy them and fix stuff for myself. In this instance, it seems like the LBS is the best option though.

To clarify, the pedals themselves are still firmly attached to the cranks. The cranks are also still firmly attached together and also to the chainwheels - the whole assembly rocks from side to side in unison. The BB cups are also still attached to the frame. I might have one last look tonight and upload some photos.
  • davey d
    davey d Posts: 41
    I had a carbon crank which cracked and felt loose this had to be replaced.