TT wheels - HELP !!

Richard_P
Richard_P Posts: 96
edited June 2007 in Workshop
I'm after some new TT wheels as my current ones are not really designed for TT use (Bontrager Race Lites).

Wheels I've looked at so far include Planet-X, Xentis MK 1 (normal and TT), Zipp 606 and 808, and Vuelta Carbon Pros.....and I'm now totally confused [:I]

So any help / guidance with what I should look for would be appreciated as I'm not sure how to compare them all...

Cost is one deciding factor, but not the first and I don't really want to spend more than about a grand.

Comments

• couscous
    couscous Posts: 71
    For me it would depend on what courses I was riding. For fast courses a deep section front (Planet X) and a disk rear with a spare deepish section rear for those windy days.

For sporting course I'd probably run a pair of Xentis TT's as I would for a mixture of fast and sporting courses as the best compromise.

"Racing is life, anything before or after is only waiting"
  • Cyclistm
    Cyclistm Posts: 758
    I agree with couscous about a deep section front and a disk rear. However, it will probably be cheaper and more practical to get deep section front and rear.

You can then decide to buy a rear later on.

I would be very hard pushed to pick a better wheel than any of the Planet-X deep sections or the disk.
  • Richard_P
    I must admit that the Xentis TT do look favourite at the moment, but they are œ1.3k which is a LOT of money....
    ...next favourite probably are the Zipp 606s and then the Planet-X ones.

The TT courses I've done so far are slightly hilly (over 420 feet of climbs in 10 -12 miles) and are quite open in places too, so a disk wheel is not an option I'm looking for at the moment.
  • Down the Road
    Down the Road Posts: 949
    Mavic Cosmic Carbone. Simple choice not overly expensive and fast enough for pro use.
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • jsmithfym
    jsmithfym Posts: 296
    Planet x if I could afford them
  • JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    Spoke to a guy riding his Xentis wheels for the first time on Monday - He loved them - they were super stiff feeling, but no doubt absorb the bumps - really solidly made.
    I think they come with a 1 or 2 year guarantee too.
    (Was a superb ultra-light white Planet-X TT bike).
  • posherscot
    posherscot Posts: 69
    have a look at this independent test - it would appear that of the 30 sets of wheels tested, Zipp 808's are the fastest wheels for time trialing.

http://www.rouesartisanales.com/article-4934445.html
  • couscous
    couscous Posts: 71
    I'd go for the Planet X over Zipp, far better value for money IMHO. I've also heard of issues with Zipp bearings [:0]

• Richard_P
    Got a lead for an "almost new" set of Mavic Comic Carbone SL clinchers for about œ500....I may well wait for them to become free when the current owner upgrades....