Di Luca / Carlo Santuccione

Langenberg
Langenberg Posts: 453
edited May 2007 in Pro race
I read in an article that Di Luca is close to a doctor called Carlo Santuccione (whom he calls a friend) and it was implied that the good doctor had links to doping etc.
Obviously, Di Luca's comments regarding riders coming out weren't exactly encouraging.

Does anyone know any details regarding this connection?
Cheers,
Langenberg

=====================
Pas de progrŠs sans peigne.
=====================

Comments

• Quick check of the interweb yielded this

Gawd knows it's it's accurate.

--
    Facts about dr. Carlos Santuccione:
    Was a former doctor working at the Ferrara institute, where the Italian court has proofed, that they did systematic doping of national athletes from 1980-1998. However, in the court only Dr. Conconi, Grazzi, Casoni and Ferrari was convicted for the doping of 66 riders +14 skiers +2 runners during 1992-1998. THE REASON why Santuccione was not busted in the "Ferra case", was probably that he got suspended by CONI from 1995-2000 (due to another doping violation). In 2004 he was accused of managing the Italian doping network, discovered by the investigation "Operation Oil for Drugs"(15 professional riders was caught, and still wait for trial). In 2006 we have following riders still using Santuccione as their personal doctor (of course this doesnt mean that they are necessarily plays around with doping products, but I remain sceptical about any connection to this doctor):
    Santuccione clients in 2006: Bennati, Celestino, Commesso, Di Luca, Galletti, E.Mazzoleni, Rebellin.
    --
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Wow, top 2 in the Giro, the Pro Tour leader and one of the top 3 sprinters in the world. Bumper crop!
  • ut_o_cykla
    ut_o_cykla Posts: 58
    I'm a bit thick but.. why do top riders (from different teams) all share DOCTORS? Surely if you wanted to get an 'edge' you wouldn't want the same doc giving 10 other guys a similar edge. My dad always said Pro wrestling was fixed, please don't tell me pro cycling is too ... I might do something drastic ;-)

pousse moi s'il vous plait
    pousse moi s\'il vous plait
  • lucretiuscp
    lucretiuscp Posts: 135
    I hope Di Luca is clean this year, I'm really enjoying his riding in the Giro this year.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    What's the deal with "Oil for Drugs"? Where does oil come into it? Italians... olive oil?
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by afx237vi</i>

Wow, top 2 in the Giro, the Pro Tour leader and one of the top 3 sprinters in the world. Bumper crop!
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

And Galetti died during a race. Doesn't bode well does it?

tea is good
  • Can anyone explain why i don't ( and never have) liked Di luca?

May be's he is better looking and blonder than me and I'm jealous? I can't explain, he is riding incredibly well this year too.

Does he have any previous?

Self confessed King of The Mole Hill
    Self confessed King of The Mole Hill
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by El Conejo Ingles</i>

Yes, tho unproven. Of the tapped-phone call variety I believe (see also Honchar, Rebellin & many others)

Did you get planning permission for that sense of humour bypass?
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Calvjones</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by El Conejo Ingles</i>

Yes, tho unproven. Of the tapped-phone call variety I believe (see also Honchar, Rebellin & many others)

Did you get planning permission for that sense of humour bypass?

And he was banned from participating in the 2004 TDF by the ASO because of it. I note his reluctance to take part in the tour from that cyclingnews interview he did. Must be worried about what L'Equipe may find out if he did.

tea is good
  • Ricco has Pantani's soigneur. And Di Luca has a Dr with a history too. It's very dissapointing. How can cycling be cured of doping when the Drs and 'soignuers' -whatever the soignuer is (massuer, bottle cleaner, go beteen for doping?) with a history or a question mark over them thrive? I think its probably time to keep the so called 'soignuers' and Drs that had clients who were doped out of the sport of cycling-perhaps using guilt by association and have this written into contracts between team and riders- no external help, no Cecchini, no ex Pantani soignuers- and fired if found with either.

________Our behaviour is a function of our experience.
  • Langenberg
    Langenberg Posts: 453
    Thanks, Iain, for the initial info!

=====================
    =====================
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dave_1</i>

Ricco has Pantani's soigneur. And Di Luca has a Dr with a history too. It's very dissapointing. How can cycling be cured of doping when the Drs and 'soignuers' -whatever the soignuer is (massuer, bottle cleaner, go beteen for doping?) with a history or a question mark over them thrive? I think its probably time to keep the so called 'soignuers' and Drs that had clients who were doped out of the sport of cycling-perhaps using guilt by association and have this written into contracts between team and riders- no external help, <b>no Cecchini</b>, no ex Pantani soignuers- and fired if found with either.

________Our behaviour is a function of our experience.

So Millar gets fired? [:(]

tea is good
  • Birillo
    Birillo Posts: 417
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> I hope Di Luca is clean this year,<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

LOL!
  • I thought Mezzoleni's attack up the mountains was amazing the other day, climbed that mountain amazingly quickly for such a big fellah. He looks more like a sprinter than a climber.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Quick check of the interweb yielded this

Gawd knows it's it's accurate.

--
    Facts about dr. Carlos Santuccione:
    Was a former doctor working at the Ferrara institute, where the Italian court has proofed, that they did systematic doping of national athletes from 1980-1998. THE REASON why Santuccione was not busted in the "Ferra case", was probably that he got suspended by CONI from 1995-2000 (due to another doping violation). In 2004 he was accused of managing the Italian doping network, discovered by the investigation "Operation Oil for Drugs"(15 professional riders was caught, and still wait for trial).
    Santuccione clients in 2006: ...E.Mazzoleni, ....<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Aaaah, that explains it.

Cars don't kill people.
    Motorists do.

Cars don\'t kill people.
    Motorists do.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dave_1</i>

Ricco has Pantani's soigneur. And Di Luca has a Dr with a history too. It's very dissapointing. How can cycling be cured of doping when the Drs and 'soignuers' -whatever the soignuer is (massuer, bottle cleaner, go beteen for doping?) with a history or a question mark over them thrive? <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

If the soigneur was totally innocent of any wrong doing then banning them from the sport is a bit harsh - even if he knew Pantani was on stuff then he's hardly in a position to blow the whistle - it's his job and not a massively well paid one. Yes if the soigneur is proven to be part of a doping ring but not otherwise.

Warning about well known bike shop removed at request of moderators.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Steve Tcp
    Steve Tcp Posts: 7,350
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tom Butcher</i>

If the soigneur was totally innocent of any wrong doing then banning them from the sport is a bit harsh - even if he knew Pantani was on stuff then he's hardly in a position to blow the whistle - it's his job and not a massively well paid one. Yes if the soigneur is proven to be part of a doping ring but not otherwise.

Well, if you read Willy Voet's "Breaking The Chain" you'll understand how integral soigneurs can be to the doping process. Voet makes the point that because he injected riders' (amongst them our old mate Richard Virenque) "vitamins" into their backsides whilst they lay chest down on a massage table they all felt able to say "we never knowingly took performance enhancing drugs". Utter bollocks of course but because they didn't do the administering, nor even see it, they felt able to utter the classic doper's lie.

Take care,

Steve.
    Take care,

Steve.