I'm sure this is madness...

Spawn of Cabbie
Spawn of Cabbie Posts: 382
edited May 2007 in Tour & expedition
Me and a few friends are going to La Clusaz, which is about an hour south of Geneva. Now, the normal route is to fly to Geneva and get a cab into the Alps.
For some reason, last night, I thought, sod it - I'll set off a week or so early and cycle there.

Maybe I'll get the train to Paris.

I've never done any touring before and I want to go as light as possible. I'll be going on a Specialized Allez.

What sort of stuff do I need to add to that? I imagine panniers etc.

Comments

• gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    hmm - perhaps it is madness - not from a distance point of view - but if the idea of you and friends going there was to get a few alpine climbs in then you'd be better with fresh legs - i.e. not cycling to get there first!

Otherwise, train to paris, you will need panniers yes - not sure if your allez has rack mounts does it? - I'd probably put the stem a bit higher and raise the bars (reduce the saddle / bars differential). I'd imagine it's around 400 miles so perhaps 4 or 5 days would be achievable.
  • Thanks.

We wouldn't be going for Apline climbs and the like - Infact I don't think my cycle there idea would have any other takers.

I think Paris - La Clusaz is about 560km by car. I imagine this might be a bit longer if you have to take a more cycle friendly route.
  • lardarse rider
    lardarse rider Posts: 1,447
    You could do it easily. Just take along one of these[;)]

Please be upstanding for the Mayor of Simpleton

I\'m pushing the pedals on my season cycle
  • wasi
    wasi Posts: 109
    Why madness? I think this is perfectly normal ... should thinking this worry me?

As that may be, all you need should fit into a Carradice saddle bag or a handle bar bag. 100-120miles/day shouldn't be a problem. I'd be tempted to start at my door step instead of Paris, though.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">all you need should fit into a Carradice saddle bag or a handle bar bag.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

What would that consist of then?
  • wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 673
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Spawn of Cabbie</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">all you need should fit into a Carradice saddle bag or a handle bar bag.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

What would that consist of then?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Evening clothes, waterproof, toiletries, tools spares, travel docs and washing powder/fluid. Nothing else required (unless you're camping, that is). Try it this light - it's liberating.

=============
    I believe Tugboat
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • Asterixcp
    Asterixcp Posts: 6,251
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gkerr4</i>

hmm - perhaps it is madness - not from a distance point of view - but if the idea of you and friends going there was to get a few alpine climbs in then you'd be better with fresh legs - i.e. not cycling to get there first!

Not in my experience. After cycling across the Massif Central 3 yrs ago, tent and all, I found I was turbo-charged! Even by Tulle, I cycled up the west route out (very steep) thinking 'I shouldn't be able to do this!'.

Pour vivre heureux, vivons le v‚lo..
    Pour vivre heureux, vivons le v‚lo..
  • OK. Thanks to you loonies, I actually believe I can do this.

Provisional route

London - Dieppe
    Dieppe - Paris
    Paris - Auxerre
    Auxere - Mancon
    Macon - La Clusaz.

This is based largely on stopping in plces I've heard of.
  • nun
    nun Posts: 434
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Spawn of Cabbie</i>

OK. Thanks to you loonies, I actually believe I can do this.

Provisional route

London - Dieppe
    Dieppe - Paris
    Paris - Auxerre
    Auxere - Mancon
    Macon - La Clusaz.

This is based largely on stopping in plces I've heard of.

I agree with the saddlebag and handlebar bag recommendation, you can fit everything you'll need in a Carradice Nelson or Super C. The daily mileage might be a bit high unless you've done 5, 100 mile plus days is succession before. Maybe take the train to Paris and ride from there, 5, 100km days is a lot easier.
  • Thanks for all the advice.

Is it feasible to start from London and then, if one day I'm feeling knackered, just take a train. Can you just jump on in France?
  • wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 673

Can you just jump on in France?
    Sort of. The SNCF timetables show the trains that allow bikes and those that don't. Worth a look before you leave.

=============
    I believe Tugboat
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • psmiffy
    psmiffy Posts: 236
    Just go for it -

take the train to the coast (much more satisfying if technically you feel you have cycled from "England") - a week or so sounds like a good idea averaging 100 to 110km per day - you will probably manage more if you are traveling light - get your mates to take what you need in excess of the stuff you carry on your bike -it will give you time to mess about on the way sightsee etc- much more enjoyable to enjoy the journey rather than the head down ive got to do so much today approach. By the time you get to the up bit to La Clusaz - and judicious choice of route will minimize this - you should be fitter and more confident - remember its not a crime to stop and admire the view on the up bits (crash barriers on the hairpins are an excellent place to lean bicycle while you take photos, have a drink or snack or if you are that way inclined a ciggy)

If it all comes too much, or the weather is bad and you get behind your schedule its easy to get on a local train for a 100km or so.

Pay particular attention to your contact points- I find its not my legs that give out (ive done 200km in day with 50kg bike - age 50plus and not that fit - and legs still going) but feet, hands or bottom giving me grief.

Be good - enjoy
  • wasp707
    wasp707 Posts: 116
    Spawn

I'd make your route a bit more direct and avoid the major towns. It is easy to get into a city but not always s easy to get out of them on the road that you want. You will have an excellent time and has already been said, enjoy the scenery.