Frame Sizing for 5'11" chap?

Melvil
Melvil Posts: 2,219
edited May 2007 in Road beginners
i.e. Me?

Don't suppose you guys have any idea what size frame would suit? I also have shortish legs for my height!

(Can't believe I've been on a cycling forum for years and still don't know these things).

Any help much appreciated,

Mel.

See Baby Elephants and more at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/47331519@N00/

Comments

• Lots of advice on this in recent Posts - consensus seems to be to "have a fitting". Don't see the point myself, as mostly the "systems" are no more than the application of long established criteria and in any case they tend to start from assumptions about your riding position/needs which are not always justified (and tend to expect that you want to race).

Old time *rule* of inside leg (actual not trousers!)length minus 10" equals seat tube c to top is as good a STARTING point as any IMHO.

d.j.
    "Like a true nature's child,
    We were born,
    Born to drink mild"
  • Asterixcp
    Asterixcp Posts: 6,251
    Try this site..

Pour vivre heureux, vivons le v‚lo..
    Pour vivre heureux, vivons le v‚lo..
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    At 5'10" and with a 32.5" inseam a 53/54cm frame is theoretically the ideal for me and i find it pretty comfortable too. I would expect from that that if you are similarly proportioned to me a 55/56cm frame would be a good starting point when trying out bikes.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.
  • I marvel at the amount of people who ask this question on-line.
    its like saying my feet are X long, what size shoe should i buy?

You really need to visit a shop to sit on a few different bikes,
    its a really expensive mistake to make and buying a new bike that
    is the wrong size based on the 'advice' of some 'experts' on a
    forum is not the best thing to do.

you'll be about conventional frame 56 btw

Mleh Mleh Mleh
  • Melvil
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Steve Austin</i>

I marvel at the amount of people who ask this question on-line.
    its like saying my feet are X long, what size shoe should i buy?

You really need to visit a shop to sit on a few different bikes,
    its a really expensive mistake to make and buying a new bike that
    is the wrong size based on the 'advice' of some 'experts' on a
    forum is not the best thing to do.

you'll be about conventional frame 56 btw

Mleh Mleh Mleh
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

[:D] Very good [:D]

Unfortunately I'm just in the market to upgrade my frame as my current one is way too small, so it might be a bit more difficult than it would be just trying out a bike...

As long as you have a fairly ok sized frame I imagine there's a lot of leeway with stems, seatposts and such?

******************************************************************************
  • "just in the market to upgrade my frame as my current one is way too small, so it might be a bit more difficult than it would be just trying out a bike..."

Not really - the shop doesn't know you just want a frame! Get a good idea of what you want by the "sitting method", take the measurements and depart to "think about it".

Figure out WHERE yours is too small and add on inches/cms as appropriate: at least you have the advantage of a base level.

Leeway via stems etc depends in part on type of bike and whay you want it for!

d.j.
    We were born,
    Born to drink mild"
  • Down the Road
    Down the Road Posts: 949
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Melvil</i>

i.e. Me?

Don't suppose you guys have any idea what size frame would suit? I also have shortish legs for my height!

(Can't believe I've been on a cycling forum for years and still don't know these things).

Mel.

Anywhere from a 54 cm to a 60 Hence the need to be professionally fitted. Sitting on a bike is NOT the correct way to size.
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • wastelander
    wastelander Posts: 557
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by davej</i>

Lots of advice on this in recent Posts - consensus seems to be to "have a fitting". Don't see the point myself, as mostly the "systems" are no more than the application of long established criteria and in any case they tend to start from assumptions about your riding position/needs which are not always justified (and tend to expect that you want to race)
    Nothing could be further from the truth. My now written off CAAD5 was fitted by a reputable store based on my height/inside leg measurement...but a fitting on a Basso rig proved that it was way out - 3cms short in the seat tube, 4cms in the head tude and 3cms short in the top tube. Also the bar stem was 1cm short and the bars 4cm too narrow. At least the crank length was right though [;)]

The fitting doesn't only measure the basics such as inside leg but splits that down into relationships between upper/lower limbs, torso length, shoulder width etc ensuring that the bike fits you. You will also be asked what kind of riding you do to help choose an initial geometry. Though you may initally pay for the fitting service, a reputable LBS will then offset that against the cost of a new frame/bike.

Don't guess, get it right first time.

One more turn of the wheels...just one!
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Down the Road</i>

Anywhere from a 54 cm to a 60 Hence the need to be professionally fitted. Sitting on a bike is NOT the correct way to size.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">The trouble is that if you were fitted by five different professionals then you'll get five different positions. They are only useful as a guide and you have to decide if it is right for you.

Melvil - why do you think your current bike is too small?
  • grazer
    grazer Posts: 131
    In reality, dont people just buy the frame they think is the coolest/best for the appropriate amount of wedge they are prepared to spend?? Then tinker with seat fore/back posi and stem length.

I bet no-one on this forum who fancies a pinarello etc gets convinced to buy a trek because a salesman measured them up and told them it was "the best fit"....
  • grazer
    grazer Posts: 131
    by the way, i'd guess you are a 56cm
  • You could always try this for a rough idea...should at least get you in the right ballpark of sizes...

http://www.bikebuster.com/framesize_sad ... ulator.cfm

I'm not a failure - I'm a deferred success!
  • Melvil
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by andyp</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Down the Road</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">The trouble is that if you were fitted by five different professionals then you'll get five different positions. They are only useful as a guide and you have to decide if it is right for you.

Melvil - why do you think your current bike is too small?

Oh, I don't think, I know, mate [:)] - toe/wheel overlap, hunched over the bars (and down as well, so my neck hurts after a while). It's way way too small for me. It's a shame as its a nice frame - about 50cm toptube, I think, if anyone wants to buy a 531c frame in good nick when I replace it [:D][:D]

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Melvil</i>

Oh, I don't think, I know, mate [:)] - toe/wheel overlap, hunched over the bars (and down as well, so my neck hurts after a while). It's way way too small for me. It's a shame as its a nice frame - about 50cm toptube, I think, if anyone wants to buy a 531c frame in good nick when I replace it [:D][:D]
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Fair enough. It sounds far too small for you btw!

Personally I think you should decide on the bike you want then try it in a couple of sizes if you can. This'll give you a feel for which fits best and you'll be able to size up the pros and cons of each size.

Your height would suggest something like a 56cm or 57cm centre to centre frame, with equivalent top tube but given the different designs of bikes these days, i.e. compact, fancy carbon fibre stuff, then it's hard to say which size exactly.
  • "Nothing could be further from the truth."

Well, I suppose I should have said "IMO" (though "don't see the point myself" sort of covered that. But then your view is equally opinion only!

d.j.
    We were born,
    Born to drink mild"
  • nun
    nun Posts: 434
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Melvil</i>

i.e. Me?

Mel.

The size of bike you end up on will depend on its geometry and your riding style. Garybee says

"At 5'10" and with a 32.5" inseam a 53/54cm frame is theoretically the ideal for me".

First of all make sure that you know how the farme is being measured, center to center or center to top. For a seat tube that's measured center to top and if you want a more relaxed position for commuting, touring or basic fitness riding with the bars more level with the saddle I'd get a larger bike that is often recommended. As and example I'm 5'10" with a 32" pubic bone height (PBH) and I ride a 56 or 57 cm bike. Here's a rule of thumb that usually works for an upright position.

Measure your PBH in cm, this is the distance from your pubic bone to the floor in your bare feet (its generally a couple of cm more than your inside leg measurement). Take that and subtract 10 cm, this give you the distance between the top of the saddle and the center or your crank. Subtract another 15cm to get the frame size.(C to T)
  • "Take that and subtract 10 cm, this give you the distance between the top of the saddle and the center or your crank. Subtract another 15cm to get the frame size.(C to T)"

And, surprise, surprise, that method applied to ME gives a 23" frame. Exactly the same as old time rule of inside leg minus 10".

d.j.
    We were born,
    Born to drink mild"
  • Bobby Peru
    Bobby Peru Posts: 71
    Melvil - I'm exactly the same height as you with relatively shortish legs. Condor sized me up on a 55 frame and it fits like a glove. I find off the peg 56s a bit of a stretch. But, yeah - best advice is to get yourself down to a decent lbs and get fitted.

www.edinburghroadclub.co.uk

I've got a lot to say, it just doesn't come to me today..
    www.edinburghroadclub.co.uk

I\'ve got a lot to say, it just doesn\'t come to me today..