Attacks on Audax riders

2»

Comments

• Joe Sacco
    Joe Sacco Posts: 4,907
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by CometGirl</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Joe Sacco</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by CometGirl</i>

Two of the riders I was with on the Invicta 400 were pushed by a group of yobs in a car just outside Maidstone. They were holding the passenger out of the car window by his ankles so he could get a good swipe at each of us - he missed me but got two others, who fortunately didn't fall off but it's still unpleasant. I only wish his mates had dropped him [:(!]

And Joe? I ride audax and I don't have a beard. [;)]
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I don't wish to know about your shaving habits. On second thoughts.

[:D]

I think we all look pretty normal here....

To another cyclist you look normal yes[:)]
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396

I think we all look pretty normal here....

Where's that then ? (Doesn't look like Islington ! )
    - West Yorks somewhere ?

why is it sunny all week yet rains at weekends ?
  • CometGirl
    CometGirl Posts: 2,681
    Just outside Mytholmroyd somewhere, beginning of the Three Coasts.
  • redcogs
    redcogs Posts: 3,232
    Just my luck to move to the Moray Firth when you were due to land in Mytholmroyd next door to where i used to reside Comet.

We could have had a chat about dress sense.

<font size="1">please look up to the stars.. </font id="size1"><font size="6"><font color="red">***</font id="red"></font id="size6">
    <font size="1">please look up to the stars.. </font id="size1"><font size="6"><font color="red">***</font id="red"></font id="size6">
  • CometGirl
    CometGirl Posts: 2,681
    Well, the Three Coasts isn't happening next year (and I didn't finish [8)]) so I'll try the Daylight 600 instead and drop in for a cuppa and some fashion advice on the way. [:)]
  • mollymc
    mollymc Posts: 13
    No physical attacks but over a period of years I was sexually harrassed by a coach driver on my way to work. I cycled over Chiswick Bridge and it was always around there I would encounter him. I turned right to get to the bridge and as I turned often I'd see him in the traffic to my left waiting to approach the bridge. The tension would set in right then because I knew what was coming. He would honk, whistle and shout out the window at me. If I hadn't spotted him before I turned he would honk right behind me almost giving me a heart attack. With traffic I would often overtake him only to be overtaken by him again later and so on and on leading to renewed attacks. It made me so furious I did consider calling up the company he worked for (Greens of London) and complaining about him. I'd probably have reported him to the police if I thought they'd do anything about it. I eventually moved and so haven't seen him for a few years but whenever I see Greens of London on a coach I feel angry.
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725

Well, the Three Coasts isn't happening next year (and I didn't finish [8)]) so I'll try the Daylight 600 instead and drop in for a cuppa and some fashion advice on the way. [:)]

you'll have a long detour.

Scotland, bigger than Londoners think it is.

That should be the Tourist Board "strap line" [:D]
  • rothbook
    rothbook Posts: 943
    That's horrible Molly, I can't believe no passengers said anything.

Saw a horrible road rage with a Lewis courier van this afternoon, screaming abuse at a traffic warden and then screaming off on the pavement, wheels spinning. I went over to the warden and we swapped details, this driver was a nutter.
  • gbyers
    gbyers Posts: 164
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Noodley</i>

you'll have a long detour.

Scotland, <b>bigger than Londoners think it is</b>.

That should be the Tourist Board "strap line" [:D]

Yeah it's OK. But a better one could be "Scotland - we don't care where Londoners think it is" [:D][:D]

________________________________________________________________________________
    Anyone expecting to see a witty and imaginitive signature here obviously hasn't seen my username.
    ________________________________________________________________________________
  • BigTrike
    BigTrike Posts: 208
    This is strange, I was on the Hailsham 400 and had a bottle of water ( or somthing) at me, missed by a good 10ft some time in the afternoon on the Saturday by a dark chav mobile focus/astra, which is the first time I have things other than cigerets and abuse hurled at me.
  • KeithG
    KeithG Posts: 1,010
    To try and relieve the cycling paranoia that we all feel, A friend of mine is an ambulance paramedic and he says that they and the fire brigade and police get things chucked at them all the time on a weekend night in town.
    I think if you are at all conspicuously different, when the drunks spill out onto the street, you'll have problems of one sort or another, it''s an alcohol related mob mentality thing, maybe??
    It can be amusing (ish), three of us cycled through Galashiels just after midnight at the end of a 300k in May and a girl was shrieking hysterically at us "It's a Friday night, get a f@cking life!", it was actually a Saturday night and arguably even a Sunday morning, but we didn't stop to enlighten her.
  • dakidcp
    dakidcp Posts: 744
    There's a really simple solution to this problem, that I'm surprised hasn't been mooted more.

Carry a Glock or some similar kind of semi-automatic pistol, and then just shoot them. Not only will you remain safe, you'll also be keeping other cyclists safe, and if you think about it also future generations of cyclists, because if these people breed, they're bound to produce more unintelligent neanderthals [:)]

A true win-win situation [:D]

My tongue is in my cheek, by the way. I wish there was some way to make these sociopaths understand what they are doing, but I don't believe they possess the cognitive functions capable of showing such empathy. A f****** good clip round the ear as kids, to make them realise that crimes and poor behaviour have a punishment would be a start, but I don't believe this nanny state will ever be brave enough to do that.

<hr noshade size="1">"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
    <i>Mark Twain</i>
    <hr noshade size="1">"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
    <i>Mark Twain</i>