bike + blingbling

quadrupicle
quadrupicle Posts: 5
edited May 2007 in Tour & expedition
Cannondale Touring Classic is ordered and will arrive in a couple of days. Now I'm thinking about what upgrades that can be done at the time of arrival. The bike seems pretty complete as is but as an example if i go up in the mountains i could change to a MTB gears etc. What are the options that may be worth the bucks?

Second question; what additions toys is good to have mounted on it, a horn and a computer w/cadens of course, anything else that might be good/fun to put on it?

Comments

• andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    A pump, lights.

I can't really say I like the gear specifications much. It depends on how strong your legs are, how hilly/mountainous an area you want to ride, and how much luggage you are carrying, but if you want lower gears it looks like all you can do is put a smaller little chainring on (down to 24T).
    Your options in other changes to lower gears are limited by the stuff it's got on. If you want a bigger sprocket than 27, you would also need 9-speed shifters for an MTB cassette. If you want a smaller middle ring than 39 it looks like you would have to change the chainset, which would mean a new bottom bracket.
  • <font color="red">I should guess that you could splice a 9-speed MTB cassette and a 10-speed road one. I've mixed and matched a 7-speed Deore DX and 8-speed ultegra in the past, with no problems.

As for 'bling', you could go for some better hubs (Royce, Hope?) or an XTR rear mech, but there isn't a lot that it needs. I'd simply get some decent panniers, front and rear and get out there!

</font id="red">
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Middleburn cranks/rings,Chris King h/set and hubs,carbon bars with flattened tops.

M.Rushton
    M.Rushton