boring ortlieb front roller question

CyclepathToHell
CyclepathToHell Posts: 133
edited June 2007 in Tour & expedition
does the bottom hook face away from you or towards you, or is it optional? in other words, do you have the bottom of the pannier hooked at the front or rear of the rack?

Comments

• BShane
    BShane Posts: 56
    I believe they face forward to take strain from the top catches under heavy braking.
  • pw2389
    pw2389 Posts: 27
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BShane</i>

I believe they face forward to take strain from the top catches under heavy braking.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    That's how I've got mine set up (for the very same reason).
  • thanks guys.

same for the back rack? (that's how mine has been set up for two years)
  • TorugartTim
    TorugartTim Posts: 105
    I set my rear ones the opposite way. That way if a car clips the pannier, there's are chance the pannier will go without taking the bike with it. This is based on an accident I had in Chile, when I was really lucky a Karrimor pannier separated from the rack after I was hit by a pick-up truck.

Tours in faraway places
    Info:www.adventure-cycling-guide.co.uk
  • BShane
    BShane Posts: 56
    Cripes TT, That's a good heads up. I'll bare it in mind when setting up for my hol's.
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Mine depends on the bike!

The Street machine has an open design to it's rack so the clip faces back to secure lateral movement and the top clips abut the crosspieces to secure forward and back

On the Catrike and Airnimal the Tubus Racks work better if the clip faces forward behind the middle down strut and again the top clips fit next to cross struts

I simply look for the most secure fitting on each machine.

<b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Michael Falk
    Michael Falk Posts: 169
    Touring for 2 years with large roller "plusses" on the back & front I had all hooks facing towards the back. I had no resulting problems at all. I've no idea if I was doing what <i>should</i> be done or not.

Michael
  • This is not as boring a question as you think!

I've often wondered which way these should face and have tried both directions with different manufacturers with varying results. Thanks for the heads up.