Which Bike?

Shadescp
Shadescp Posts: 34
edited May 2007 in Road beginners
Hi,
though ive enjoyed cycling for many years I'v just recently joined a bike club and started doing some 10 mile time trials in addition to some 3-5 hr club runs in the Peak District. My fitness is ramping up.

I currently own a bog standard road bike (alu frame and 105 groupset, cheapest Mavic wheels), but id like to buy a "better bike". My budget is œ1500-2000

The issue is that I don't want to buy a dedicated time trial (TT) bike, but a bike that is good for hilly club runs and, for now, reasonably ok for my TT if I clip on some tri-bars.
So maybe a nice carbon frame/forks/crank/stem etc and handlebars*, nice wheels and groupset.
What should I look for ?
Maybe the wheels are the most important? eg Zipp 400? It seems the wheels are really important for speed.
* Can i clip time trialing bars onto a carbon handlebar? Will it damage the handlebar?
Should I buy off the Peg ( eg Scott CR1/Cannondale six13/Bianchi 928) or get a builder to assemble it?

Thanks for any suggestions and excuse all the questions!

Comments

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    There's an awful lot of choice in that price bracket I recently had a similar amount to spend on a carbon bike and eventually plumped for a Wilier Mortirolo with a Campy Centuar groupset (œ1700). IMHO it is a fantastic bike but I'd advise you to test ride as many as you can - Kuota Kharma, Specialized Tarmac Comp etc. Zipp 400 (404?) are probably at bit extravagant, perhaps look at Fulcrum Racing 1's or 0's or Mavic Ksyrium SL's instead. I'd also steer clear of carbon bars if I were you, you are better off spending that money elsewhere ie - on wheels, better saddle, carbon seatpost etc...

My Best Bike
  • Down the Road
    Down the Road Posts: 949
    Go to a bike shop and look and talk to the staff. If you go into a shop that has a road leaning you will find most of the staff ride and can advise you on how to best spend your money.
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • Shadescp
    Shadescp Posts: 34
    My local bike shop leans strongly toward mountain biking, as do I. Im often surprised how little they know or care about road biking. But I take your point.

I've settled on a road bike build offered by PlanetX.
    They offer Reyonolds Alta Race wheels, though I see many folk use and like the Ksyriums EL. The latter has fewer spokes which are also straight pull bladed. Would that make a significant difference to speed for a 10 miler TT?
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    I doubt if they would make a 'significant' difference to the TT - if it is even noticable.

the alta-race wheels are well regarded around here as being of very good value

but held in low regard if you ever need spare parts for them!

well done on picking a bike btw - please post some pics when you get it.
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    For 2k you could even get yourself a very nice race bike and a set of deep carbon wheels just to use for TTs.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.