Carradice SQR system & carbon seat post

soltydog
soltydog Posts: 47
edited December 1969 in Workshop
Looking at getting a caradice bad with sqr system for my allez elite, but after reading this months cycling plus tourers test, it comments about not using a seatpost mounted rack with carbon posts. Would the sqr system be compatable with my carbon seatpost, or should i replace that too ?

Also which bag would be most suitable for a road bike the sqr tour, or trax.

Cheers
Paul

Comments

• rdaviesb
    rdaviesb Posts: 566
    I'm running a small saddlebag on an SQR mounted on a carbon post. As the weight is minimal I'm happy enough with it. One thing to watch out for though is the bolt lengths - you don't want to end up marking the carbon, so I've cut mine down by 5mm to make sure they are safe.
  • alexB
    alexB Posts: 2,199
    I've always assumed that the reason long carbon posts are comfortable is that they flex backwards along their length slightly. If you clamp an SQR block to a carbon post you add two rigid bands part way down the length and then suspend a load of weight off them. I doubt the total suspended weight reaches anywhere near the load limit for the post (unless you are already a heavyweight rider), but I do think that you might be placing a stress point on the post where it's not designed to have one and you are also preventing it from flexing, thus reducing its effectiveness.

In my opinion you'd be better off fitting a USE shockpost or similar. The the Carradice is held as unsuspended weight and you get the shock absorption qualities appropriate to your actual weight.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I've been using an SQR Tour on a carbon fiber post for a while now. I just wrapped some tape around the post to stop the clamps from scratching it. Can't see there's much to worry about provided you don't load the bag up beyond what the mounting bracket is designed for.

More problems but still living.....
    More problems but still living....
  • soltydog
    soltydog Posts: 47
    Cheers folks. I've taken the plunge & ordered the tour. Hopefully it will be here for the weekend as i'm planning an imperial ton [:)]
  • don`t!! what`s wrong with the Bagman system??? I , personally, would never risk putting steel bands around an item which is designed to be intrinsically flexible; teh risk of failure should not be tolerated for a post as it could be disastrous

JamesB MTB