cyclocross / winter bike

Monowai
Monowai Posts: 329
edited May 2007 in Workshop
I think it must be the dreary weather that is making me think about next winter already! Am thinking about a cross bike that will also serve as a winter training bike with change of tyres and some mudguards. I quite fancy either the Planet-x Uncle John (œ799 105 spec) or the Focus Mares Cross (œ699 105 spec).

Any experiences of either? or recommendations of other similarly priced cross bikes?

"Extensive medical studies now show that training is bad for you. Eat cake and rejoice!"
Cake makes me happy

Comments

• dave5ncp
    dave5ncp Posts: 3,198
    Kinesis Crosslight 4T. Was available for œ639 with 105 and carbon fork. Bought one last winter.

<font color="purple"> <font size="1"><i>please pretend there's a horizontal line here. I couldnt work out how to put one in.</i></font id="size1"></font id="purple">
    You stir my natural emotions
    <font color="purple"> <font size="1"><i>please pretend there\'s a horizontal line here. I couldnt work out how to put one in.</i></font id="size1"></font id="purple">
  • Or how about a cheapo set of wheels for the race bike & then a new race bike next season!... or even a Ti frame from http://www.burls.co.uk - that will last a lifetime of winters.
  • Monowai
    Monowai Posts: 329
    because i want to ride cyclocross - i don't just want a winter road bike.

"Extensive medical studies now show that training is bad for you. Eat cake and rejoice!"
    Cake makes me happy
  • I can highly recommend the Planet X Uncle John, mine was used last year for winter club runs, a 60 mile round trip commute with rack and panniers, and cycloX. It's a great all round bike. Having said that, I've just bought a new frame to use as my winter bike as I find it a real pain changing the tyres, removing guards etc for cross. Possibly the worst excuse ever to buy a new frame but so what :)

My bikes - http://flickr.com/photos/82587774@N00/
  • Steve I
    Steve I Posts: 428
    Mine's a Kona Jake set up with nice wide hybrid guards and 28mm Conti Gatorskins. It's a very comfy ride and I stay clean and dry with the guards. I Used mine today for a 60 mile ride and I'm glad I wasn't on my summer bike because it p----d down near to Southport. Be careful of the Focus cross bikes, I've heard some of them don't have braze ons for bottle cages and guards, they're pure race bikes.
  • I'd have an Uncle John in a flash, can't personally recommend it, but already own a Pompino, Inbred and Pro Carbon from the On-One/Planet X stable, so can't go far wrong!

My Bikes
    http://groups.msn.com/ROADCYCLINGUK/juliansbikes.msnw
  • dave5ncp
    dave5ncp Posts: 3,198
    Crosslight has bottle bosses etc. A lovely frame if you want to do 'cross, right down to the flattened top tube. light and well made, with decent geometry.

I did consider a specialized Tricross, but there was none available at the time.

<font color="purple"> <font size="1"><i>please pretend there's a horizontal line here. I couldnt work out how to put one in.</i></font id="size1"></font id="purple">
    <font color="purple"> <font size="1"><i>please pretend there\'s a horizontal line here. I couldnt work out how to put one in.</i></font id="size1"></font id="purple">
  • maddog_2cp
    maddog_2cp Posts: 73
    there's a couple of Crosslight frames for sale on Singletrackworld forum at the moment.

<font size="1"><font color="purple">
    Drop bars are a historical accident...... discuss</font id="purple"></font id="size1">
    Drop bars are a historical accident...... discuss
  • Cyclo2000
    Cyclo2000 Posts: 1,923
    That's the trouble with the Mares cross, it's a pure Crosser. the article in the comic said it'd take guards but when I phoned up to ask they said definitely no.
    The Uncle John get's a great name and I believe the Pearson one is well thought of. Didn't the Kona get the nod in the end of year tests?

Usquequaque in Ventus
    Just once I would like to be called "Sir", without someone adding "You're making a scene".
    Usquequaque in Ventus
    Just once I would like to be called "Sir", without someone adding "You\'re making a scene".