Priorities

ian baptiste
ian baptiste Posts: 43
edited May 2007 in Road beginners
okay, im 20 years of age, i work full time and ive been cycling for a year.
in that time i have got from averaging 16-18mph at best, to getting an "00" in a 25 mile TT, and a 23.30mins on a 10TT. [8D]

now i know im too old to start thinking about wanting to be a pro rider or earning money from cycling, thinking like that is pretty stupid. but i would like to know how good i could get if i were to get a part-time job, then train the rest of the time. as obv a full time job is hard to create time to train!

i still live at home, so have no particular out-goings, so if it were you, what would you do!? [:D]

i would just like to have more time to ride now, rather than in a few years time, when i would like to settle down properly and start a family! [:0]

please, any thoughts, opinions, please give them! i can't make my mind up!!! [:D]

Thankyou

Comments

• 2191flint
    2191flint Posts: 803
    Ian,

What a lovely dream... Now wake up and smell the coffee![;)] stick with the job, and do what the rest of us mere mortal Joes do, ride when you can, don't think you can ride part time and work part time, at 20 you have got 50 years plus of cycling ahead of you, don't be so impatient you callow youth![;)]

A turkey is just for Christmas, not for life.

Me and my bike- http://aolpictures.aol.co.uk/galleries/flintosaur9/
    Signature free - with immediate effect.

• daowned
    daowned Posts: 414
    If your happy working part time and dont need fulltime as you dont have lots of outgoings then go ahead and do what <b>you</b> want to do.

When you do need to pay bills or a house you will need to go fulltime and you may not ever have the chance, a job can always be replaced but time and youth cant, I dont think your to old.

Cycle Gallery
  • gaterz1981
    gaterz1981 Posts: 503
    What a nice position to be in!! I settled down and married at 21, house at 24. Do get alot of cycling in but then my wife works part time and does handmade cards with her spare time. So i have emotional leverage to get out on the wheels!

I wouldnt change my life for anything but i think yours is a no brainer!! GO FOR IT!!

I work hard because millions on benefits depend on me
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p67/ ... 81/MTB.jpg
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p67/ ... rFrame.jpg
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p67/ ... rFrame.jpg
  • Buggi
    Buggi Posts: 674
    didn't Vicky Pendleton start quite late? or am i talking out my @rse.

anyway, do what you wanna do while you have the chance and no responsibilities

To infinity... and beyond!
    my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia

• 2191flint
    2191flint Posts: 803
    Hmmm, maybe I was a little harsh earlier?! Just being a cynical old git[:I] You are only young once, so make the most of it while yoy can, while you are still mortgage free and not tied by kids/wife/job.[8D]

A turkey is just for Christmas, not for life.

Signature free - with immediate effect.

• 2191flint, don't worry, i dont think you were harsh, although you have probably said exactly what my dad will say!!![xx(]

thankyou for all of the other suggestions, i might start to look for a part time job then![:D]

as one or two have said, i may as well make the most of my time now, whilst i can![;)]
  • robxster
    robxster Posts: 9
    I'm 19 with a part-time job, and am about to buy a road bike to do Lots of cycling on this summer. If it was me i'd do it! Nothing's more precious than good health and fitness. I'm planning to do full time over summer though as i have to pay rent.

Also, thinking you're too old to get really good is how you don't get good. There are people in worse physical condition at 20. Also you'll be pulling in the girls at pubs as you recount your fantastic tales of adventure ;)
  • Gary D
    Gary D Posts: 431
    There is a very relevant story in this week's Cycling Weekly which would be well worth you reading.

It is about an American who at 17 years old weighed over 300lb. He is now 21, took up cycling again, has lost over 9 stone, and is currently training in Belgium with the aim of joining the Pro Tour.

It's quite inspirational!

Gary.

Must try harder....
    Oh and I feel like I've been raped by an Orangutan :shock: And I've got legs like Girders :lol:
  • Buggi
    Buggi Posts: 674
    it's not a cycling story but it's relevant... what about that woman who's in her 30's that ran a marathan so fast they were gonna put her on team GB. it was in the news a couple of years ago. i think she was about 34 and had only been running for 3 years.

go for it mate.

• wow thanks for the replies![:D]

it is something i really would like to do!

Gary D, i might have to buy this weeks CW then to try and properly kick me up the backside to do something, and stop wishing!

now, i suppose im going to have to start looking for part time jobs........might not be so easy after all![V][;)]
  • The lady marathon runner was an optician, she wound up running in the British Olympic marathon team as I remember. However, it was not quite how it seemed. She was a very, very high standard club runner, possibly even at a national level prior to having her kids.

As to the original post, if I was 20 again, well I would be looking for a part-time job and trying to train to get good enough for a pro career. I would probably not take so many drugs though[:I]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26011722@N00/
  • Maggot, as for the drugs, i think i will stay well clear! id sooner stay alive! [:D]

i think the hardest part would be getting a new job! i have never applied for, nor had an interview! [:(]
  • The Bosscp
    The Bosscp Posts: 647
    Just cycle. If you are good enough, you'll get noticed. If you don't get noticed, assume you're not.
  • Simon Notley
    Simon Notley Posts: 1,263
    Sounds like you're making good progress, Ian. I don't want to sound like a total bore, but whatever you do make sure you make a good shot of it, make a plan and stick to it - you don't want to end up unemployable if the cycling doesn't work out.

Just out of interest, what part of the country are you in Ian?

---

If I had a baby elephant, I'd fit right in here.
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    How many races have you done?

Get a racing license- enter as many races as you can this season (oh make sure you have the group riding skills to be safe riding fast in a group)

Then enter as many as you can this season.

If you can get up to 1st Cat racing after a few seasons maybe better things will await you...

Pride speaks, but Elephants listen...
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • manick0decp
    manick0decp Posts: 190
    Just go for it, others will try and tell you what you can and can't do. I say give it 3 or 4 years total dedication and see what you achieve. Even if doesn't work out, think of the experience and memories you'll have.
    I was in a similar position to you 4 years ago, at the age of 21 I decided to have a go at a major ambition of mine. (won't go into into details), any way It didn't work out but I had such a good time, OK a have a bit of debt and I'm unhappy It didn't work but I wouldn't of traded it for anything. I gave it everything and don't have any regrets. I'm going to University this September at the age of 25 to begin an "ordinary" life.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Too old at 20? You are joking right? [:D]
    If you are good enough your young enough [:D]
    Look at Malcolm Elliot !!
    Some of the best UK riders are still working full time so there is no need to jack in full time work, modify the training you do, same as they do.
    There are several interviews in cycling weekly with top riders who work full time, isn't Wilkinson still a brickie?
    Working Part time will not necessarily improve your performances.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ian baptiste</i>

okay, im 20 years of age, i work full time and ive been cycling for a year.
    in that time i have got from averaging 16-18mph at best, to getting an "00" in a 25 mile TT, and a 23.30mins on a 10TT. [8D]

now i know im too old to start thinking about wanting to be a pro rider or earning money from cycling, thinking like that is pretty stupid. but i would like to know how good i could get if i were to get a part-time job, then train the rest of the time. as obv a full time job is hard to create time to train!

i still live at home, so have no particular out-goings, so if it were you, what would you do!? [:D]

i would just like to have more time to ride now, rather than in a few years time, when i would like to settle down properly and start a family! [:0]

please, any thoughts, opinions, please give them! i can't make my mind up!!! [:D]

Thankyou
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">[:D][:D]

Feel free to browse and donate:
    http://www.justgiving.com/davidbethanmills
    My winter and summer bike pics

http://oldwelshman.myphotoalbum.com
  • dave5ncp
    dave5ncp Posts: 3,198
    Get a good coach. The easiest way s to join a good club or team, but that isn't the only way.

<font color="purple"> <font size="1"><i>please pretend there's a horizontal line here. I couldnt work out how to put one in.</i></font id="size1"></font id="purple">
    You stir my natural emotions
    <font color="purple"> <font size="1"><i>please pretend there\'s a horizontal line here. I couldnt work out how to put one in.</i></font id="size1"></font id="purple">
    You stir my natural emotions
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Two words of encouragement: Graeme Obree. Read his book. If ever there was an inspiration to achievement then it is that man. Yes he had the talent but it was first and foremost, particularly when young, whatever else there was happening in his life, it was his love of cycling which shone through. I think to be successful at the very top, you need focus and need to love the bike more than almost everything else - to repeatedly endure the pain and suffering involved in being a top cyclist.

I wouldn't go part-time if all I wanted was to break a PB on a weekend TT or potter around a few hills during the week but if I wanted to see how good I could be in the competitive world then whats wrong with giving it a real go -

This is my new bike:
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p66/ ... ure001.jpg
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p66/ ... ure002.jpg
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p66/ ... ure003.jpg
  • thanks a lot for all of the owrds of encouragement! [:D]

ive taken it on board, all of your suggestions, and im very grateful of your replies! [;)]

im not going to do anything brash, maybe leave things as they are for the next few months at least, then "casually" look for another job, whilst i save as much as i can!

Thanks! [:)]
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Mate,

If you "Leave it for a few months" you'll never do it.

Forget changing jobs for now and get racing <font size="6">THIS SEASON</font id="size6">

Race this season and see how good you get, with a good club and maybe a coach.

Then keep training over the winter and then see about maybe changing jobs next year.

We don't want a "I'm 21 and too old" thread this time next year.

If you leave it, you'll regret it.

If you try it, you'll have no regrets, whichever way it turns out and live a happier life.

Good luck

Richard

Best thing I ever bought for a bike?
    Padded shorts![:D]
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • emu
    emu Posts: 161
    You don't say what your current employment is and whether you like it. If you want to stay there how about asking about cutting your hours?
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Do you have any idea of how far you would like to go?
    Do you know how much a UK pro earns?
    How abot a euro pro domestique?
    Do you want to be away from home for most of the year?

or do you just want to see how good you are in the domestic scene? Chap in our club has gone from novice to 1st cat in a year and a half. Impressive stuff. Results speak, not whether you work full or part time...

Cyclist, public transport passenger, pedestrian, driver, motorcyclist.
    I get on OK with myself, so why can't we all get on with each other?
  • HungryCol
    HungryCol Posts: 532
    It helps a lot if you have a natural ability/talent for it. Something you won't find out unless you try it. I think pro riding is a combo of talent and dedication. The level of dedication will be immense and always remember with highs come lows.

I'd love to get a part time job in a bike shop. Is it just me or are bikes fascinating objects? [:I]

• thankyou again for the replies!

i am already racing this season, had a hell of a time on a 10 last night, severe cramp cut my race short! [V]

as for how far i would like to go......i really cant answer that. obviously a pro place would be awesome, but i would just like to become the best rider i can possibly be!

if that means to start making money from it (although i know its one hell of a long shot!), so be it, if not, thats thats cool too, so long as i know i am riding at 100% i can give!