Attaching a LED to a rack

Unknown
edited December 1969 in Workshop
Hi,

I have a rear rack for my panniers. What i can't see is how to attach a light to it. All the fittings for the light assume it will attach to a tube shaped thing. There is noything like this at the back of my rack. There is just an inverted T shape piece of metal. It is a Tortec rack from Halfords similar to this...http://www.stif.co.uk/gear/select_options.asp?productid=5349
but it didn't come with any LED mountings. Can I get LED mouting brackets from somewhere?

Cheers
Rich

cheers,

Rich (A commuter at last)

Comments

• Jaded
    Jaded Posts: 6,663
    SJS do a mounting bracket.

--
    <font size="1">[Warning] This post may contain a baby elephant or traces of one</font id="size1">
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Most lights have an alternative fitting to the bracket, they just don't tell you about it. CAteye include it, but don't include it in their manual!

This is usually a small screw which will do what you need by tapping into a small hole in the back of the light, fixing it to the plate.

You can therefore use bright LEDs like the Cateye TL1100 with no problems.

If you decide to go for a formal carrier fitting like the one above beware that they are far less effective than the other types and that the fixing bolts need to be 50mm or 80mm (or adjustable)apart depending on the rack.

Some TorTec racks have a small "spur" fitting which replaces the bracket of the CAteye lights and fits thelight bracket directly to the carrier.

The LBS can advise you.

<b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Sorted. Ordered one of these http://www.aktive8.com/p/Smart/Cycle-Lights/LED-Bracket-for-Rear-Carrier/LB608.html

Cheers
    Rich

cheers,

Rich (A commuter at last)