Odds on CSC not getting a Tour place?

Unknown
edited May 2007 in Pro race
What do you think? (see todays cyclingnews)

Prudomme is talking tough - Although it would be a bit of a double standard to welcome T-Mobile avec Aldag at the helm....

Comments

• rdaviesb
    rdaviesb Posts: 566
    They should get in. No-one has ever suggested that Merckx should remove himself from the world of cycling. Time to reflect on what has happened in the past, but not to start a witch hunt.
  • I think if you were looking to ban teams due to a lack of ethics then T-Mobile and CSC would probably be close to the bottom of the list.

Astana, Discovery, Saunier Duval, any Spanish team you like, most, if not all of the Italian teams... oh hold on, I get it. Prudhome wants a <i>French</i> winner doesn't he? Discuss.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    This situation requires leadership. The UCI needs to ban Riis from all official involvement in cycling - at least suspend him pending disciplinary investigations. I don't think you can admit to doping and then go without punishment whilst still very heavily involved within the sport. That also applies to any other ex-rider/DS etc who have admitted to wrongdoing and have yet so far, gone unpunished for that particular offence.

Why did Riis confess - it isn't quite clear to me - is it because he was about to be outed by the T-mobile confessions?

This is my new bike:
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p66/ ... ure001.jpg
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p66/ ... ure002.jpg
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p66/ ... ure003.jpg
  • I think they will let CSC in minus Riis at the helm in the TDF itself. Excluding CSC would send out a reminder to any former or current riders to keep their mouths shut-omerta affirmed as the correct way. I hope ASo does let CSC into the TDF

________Our behaviour is a function of our experience.
  • Eurostar
    Eurostar Posts: 1,806
    Riis is one of pro-cycling's best hopes: he's made a frank admission which went much further than he needed to and he's instituted an independently supervised in-house testing regime, and he seems to have the backing of a very big sponsor. What's the point in punishing someone who breaks the law of silence? It's the exact opposite of what we need. But I can undertstand Prudhomme being peed off. Riis has been lying for a lot longer than the French teams have been going straight. The thought of the many dopers at CSC walking all over those clean-but-slow French teams for year after year is enough to make any Frenchman's blood boil.
    <hr>
    <h6>What\'s the point of going out? We\'re just going to end up back here anyway</h6>
  • monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    If Riis was implicated in the administration of doping whilst a DS, then yes he should be banned, but to ban him for previous misdemeanours as a rider would be ridiculous - there'd be very few DS left. The time is ripe for the UCI to form some sort of Truth & Reconcilitation commitee - own-up and we'll keep the slate clean, otherwise be prepared to face the consequences if some other info comes to light. Maybe time for Landis and Hamilton to show some genuine leadership and backbone?
  • This is cr@p from Prudhomme. Does anyone think that the Tour authorities believe that cycling is clean? If not complicit in doping, ASO has a the very least, turned a blind eye to it and allowed it to fester.

TdG
  • rdaviesb
    rdaviesb Posts: 566
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Timoid</i>

This is cr@p from Prudhomme. Does anyone think that the Tour authorities believe that cycling is clean? If not complicit in doping, ASO has a the very least, turned a blind eye to it and allowed it to fester.

TdG
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Spot on. Reference the case of Richard Virenque. How he could keep on lying for so long is beyond me. The bottom line with the French riders is that they are well paid but not that motivated, and the reason why they have not won a Tour since 1985 is that the field is now global, instead of predominantly local.
  • Keith Oates
    Keith Oates Posts: 22,036
    Le Plonk was bad, Prudhomme is worse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ride Daily, Keep Healthy

Ride Daily, Keep Healthy
  • rustychisel
    rustychisel Posts: 3,444
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Keith Oates</i>

Le Plonk was bad, Prudhomme is worse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ride Daily, Keep Healthy

Now that IS a big call. Remember, he studied at the feet of a master.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I'm only escaping to here because the office is having a conniption
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I\'m only escaping to here because the office is having a conniption
  • sylvanus
    sylvanus Posts: 1,125
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">the reason why they have not won a Tour since 1985 is that the field is now global, instead of predominantly local.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Sure! And the reason the US peloton upped sticks and moved from Nice to Girona is that they wanted to be close to their grandmother. Don't be such a dimwit! Do you honestly not think a rider of Moncoutie's calibre might have won more than just stages if the peloton were racing clean?

If we'd listened to the French on a number of subjects in the last few years, we might be in a better state. Doping is one of those subjects.
  • method
    method Posts: 784
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rdaviesb</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Timoid</i>

This is cr@p from Prudhomme. Does anyone think that the Tour authorities believe that cycling is clean? If not complicit in doping, ASO has a the very least, turned a blind eye to it and allowed it to fester.

TdG

Spot on. Reference the case of Richard Virenque. How he could keep on lying for so long is beyond me. The bottom line with the French riders is that they are well paid but not that motivated, and the reason why they have not won a Tour since 1985 is that the field is now global, instead of predominantly local.

Where have you been?

Don't you think the reason for poor French performances maybe related to the better out of season testing thats been going on in France for a while now?

And didn't they try to stop Virenque entering? He was hardly welcomed back by ASO.