Bike sizing

heathrow86
heathrow86 Posts: 228
edited May 2007 in Road beginners
I am getting confused by bike sizing I am 6ft 1 and have been to 1 or 2 lbs who have said I need a 56cm frame (however i used to ride a 22" frame years ago when i was racing). But I like the look of the Focus on Wiggle & Trek 1400 or Specialzed allez elite. I have e-mailed Wiggle and Evans who say I need a 58cm frame confused, or should I get bikefitted at my lbs in Birmingham?

Comments

• 2191flint
    2191flint Posts: 803
    I hink you have answered your own question[;)] <u>www.bikefitting.com</u> will find you the nearest shop to you,unless you already know that your LBS offers this service.

A turkey is just for Christmas, not for life.

Me and my bike- http://aolpictures.aol.co.uk/galleries/flintosaur9/
    Signature free - with immediate effect.

Me and my bike- http://aolpictures.aol.co.uk/galleries/flintosaur9/
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    I think it is always best to go to your LBS, unless you know for sure what will fit

Richard

Best thing I ever bought for a bike?
    Padded shorts![:D]
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Height difference is only a general indication for bike size. I am over 6ft2" and I need a 60cm bike with at least 59cm top tube and a 120mm stem or my knees would hit the handlebars when out of the saddle.

A warning about LBS as most are great and will set you up and have a wealth of knowledge they also run a business and will try and fob you off with their preferred bike suppliers and 'rubbish' other makes. Go to another and get they same story about other bikes.

Brian B.
    Brian B.
  • grazer
    grazer Posts: 131
    i agree with Brian B. LBS' are great generally, but remember most are only licensed to sell certain bikes/frames and when measuring you, will always find one they have a bike which will suit. They are a business, it stands to reason.

Not saying that you should, but at least if you go to an Evans etc, they have a decent selection and if you ring ahead, they should be able to get in a (close to) appropriate size that u can try. Problem is they dont have the really cool brands.
    Also, assume the salesperson knows nothing, and you can only be pleasantly surprised if he/she does
  • mabeleliza
    mabeleliza Posts: 17
    If it helps, I'm 6ft 1/2 inch and I ride a 58cm Specialized S-Works E5 which is perfect for me. I think the geometry is the same as an Allez. Good Luck