tyres

steffy
steffy Posts: 21
edited May 2007 in Workshop
on my summer bike ive allways had mitchlen pro race tyres. but they seem to develope small cracks in the side walls. i dont race my bike but i do 50/60 mile weekend rides all dry rides.if wet i use other bike. the lbs says the pro race are for raceing and should last only last a short while due to the nature of raceing is this true. i dont fancy changing my tyres every 8 months .can anyone recomend me a good tyre that gives speed and grip [:D]

Comments

• oldtrackie
    oldtrackie Posts: 171
    Continental GP 4000's
  • Pinarellofan
    Pinarellofan Posts: 1,519
    Hi there,

Tyres, as with everything in life, are a trade off between two extremes. You can have very light supple comfortable tyres that roll like you're floating on air, but they will puncture easily and not last very long At the other extreme are tyres that are very tough, ride like solid wood and are uncomfortable, but never puncture and last ages.

Take your pick !

The reality is that a tyre like the michelin pro race is more of a race tyre that you can expect 2-3000 miles out of a set. Having said that i have commuted in london on them and only had a few punctures over a few years.

If you want something slightly toughter and longer lasting, try the continetal gp4000(see the recent post on their wet weather performance though) or some of the cheaper michelins, though be warned that they won't be as comfortable or responsve as the pro races.

Daniel
  • monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    See my post re GP4000s - I'd certainly not recomend them in the wet after my friend and I suffered some dodgy moments in Belgium in the wet yesterday - unless of course you don't actually plan on going too fast. Michelins better in the wet IME
  • oldtrackie
    oldtrackie Posts: 171
    I recommended GP4000's on the basis that steffy rides "50/60 mile weekend rides all dry miles" Mind you, I have GP4000's on my Winter bike and have had no problems in poopty weather.
  • I've changed to Michelin Krylion carbon which are not a lot heavier than Pro race but too soon to tell how they will wear. I've got a 25mm pair for my audax bike which has to cope with poor quality lanes around the peak and a 23mm pair (much narrower) on my race bike - not that it sees much racing. Details are on the helpful Michelin website.
    Dave

David Jones

My bikes http://picasaweb.google.com/lb1dej

My clubs: Buxton CC - South Manchester CTC - VCC - VTTA
  • Specialized all condition armadillo 07.
  • pbiggs
    pbiggs Posts: 9,232
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by steffy</i>

on my summer bike ive allways had mitchlen pro race tyres. but they seem to develope small cracks in the side walls.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">How deep are the cracks? Don't worry if it's just surface crazing.

<i>~Pete</i>
    <i>~Pete</i>
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Pro Race and Pro Race 2s are bloody good tyres, and as Pete says these cracks are probably not much to worry about.

GP4000s great tyres? Oh yeah! check this out:

http://www.cyclingplus.co.uk/forum/topi ... _ID=131251

SIZE IS EVERYTHING! or at least that's what my LBS tells me.
  • Uzbek
    Uzbek Posts: 486
    All the lighter race tyres I've used (Conti/Michelin/Vittoria) get little cracks in the sidewalls with age more than with wear I reckon. Approx 3k into my latest set of ProRace 2's and I'd say that the wear on the actual road contact patch is just becoming noticeable, plus a handful of cuts and cuts and nicks from general usage. I reckon to get another 1k out of them this year. They are a good tyre-I'd be surprised if yours needed changing after 8 months with your usage.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If North Yorks Council spent as much on the roads each year as I do on my bike then I could spend less on my bike...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If North Yorks Council spent as much on the roads each year as I do on my bike then I could spend less on my bike...