Best / Most comfortable touring saddle

fieldmousecp
fieldmousecp Posts: 19
edited May 2007 in Tour & expedition
I do about 1000 miles a year touring , and I need to replace my Selle San Marco Rolls saddle (broken rail) which has served me pretty well for about 7 years. I would be quite happy to replace it with the same again , but any suggestions for a better / more comfortable one ? I'm a 63 yr.old male weighing abot 14 stone , and I don't fancy one which I would have to "wear in ", such as a Brooks

Comments

• rdaviesb
    rdaviesb Posts: 566
    If Brooks isn't an option, then track down a Rolls. It would be my second choice.
  • gordycp
    gordycp Posts: 2,341
    All my Brooks "Team Professional" saddles have been comfy right out of the box.

You can't beat a Brooks. (IMHO)
  • My favourite is Bodyfit Ascent Ti. No need to break it in.
  • DTH
    DTH Posts: 303
    "selle san marco era plus" is an excerlent saddle if you get on the rolls it should fit you well.

if it's not dripping of your nose, your not trying!
    if it\'s not dripping of your nose, your not trying!
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gordy</i>

All my Brooks "Team Professional" saddles have been comfy right out of the box.

You can't beat a Brooks. (IMHO)
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

same here. Mind you i have only had one...perfect from the first ride.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by fieldmouse</i>

I do about 1000 miles a year touring , and I need to replace my Selle San Marco Rolls saddle (broken rail) which has served me pretty well for about 7 years. I would be quite happy to replace it with the same again , but any suggestions for a better / more comfortable one ? I'm a 63 yr.old male weighing abot 14 stone , and I don't fancy one which I would have to "wear in ", such as a Brooks
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Selle Anatomica Titanica with 'Clydesdale' option

www.mcmwin.com

M.Rushton
    M.Rushton
  • Asterixcp
    Asterixcp Posts: 6,251
    I have been using Brooks a long time. My favourite is the B17 with Ti rails. I have 2 both of which have been reasonably comfortable to start with (doing 100 miles). On my tourer, I cycled across France with one when it was effectively new (got it cheap, probably because it was grey) and it was fine. It's nearly black now.

Pour vivre heureux, vivons le v‚lo..
    Pour vivre heureux, vivons le v‚lo..
  • wotbus@
    wotbus@ Posts: 301
    [:)] Hi.
    From a slightly lighter 64yr old to a 63yr old, replace the one you are happy with [:D]
    Other guys will only recommend the ones THEY are happy with. For 7yrs and 7k miles you have been good friends with your Rolls, so go with the same again if you can.
    No, I don't use one and have never used one and because of this - how can I or anyone else in the same position possibly recommend one which is more comfortable for you...
    Any new saddle has a "get acquainted" period, some longer than others. The problem is this: the saddle is the most intimate and personal contact you have with your bike and we are all different. With this in mind I can tell you that the only saddle which has stopped me standing on the pedals every 40odd miles to relieve pressure is my Selle Italia Genuine Gel Pro Link. So good I move it between my tourer to my road bike
    Having said that, it may be useless for you of course [;)]
    http://www.epinions.com/pr-Bike_Parts_A ... _Gel_Seats
    (The link is just to show a picture)
  • freddered
    freddered Posts: 391
    My Brooks didn't need breaking in, a lot of people find the same.

More long-distance tourists use Brooks than any other saddle.

That's all I'm saying on the subject.
  • sorry to swim against the tide but my brooks team pro was a nightmare.

it crushed my junk no matter what i did - i adjusted it, proofed it. it always felt like some hard as hell torture device. i did a few thousand miles on it and it killed my organ :)

i am one of the few who has had a bad time with brooks and won't go there again , ever.